Sexing Barred Rocks

Pics
Help please! This is my first and only barred rock chick. It's 8 weeks old today. The legs seem thick and color not as dark as most girls I've seen in this forum, so I am not sure. This chick is raised by a broody hen and is slow growing compared to chicks I raised in the brooder. So, I am not sure whether it's really a pullet or a slow developing cockerel. Thanks for your input.

Zee is next to his/her Brown Leghorn sister. I think I see a little red wattle developing,

Help please! This is my first and only barred rock chick. It's 8 weeks old today. The legs seem thick and color not as dark as most girls I've seen in this forum, so I am not sure. This chick is raised by a broody hen and is slow growing compared to chicks I raised in the brooder. So, I am not sure whether it's really a pullet or a slow developing cockerel. Thanks for your input. Zee is next to his/her Brown Leghorn sister. I think I see a little red wattle developing,
Congrats!!! Pullet 110%

On my 3rd hatch of Barred Rocks this summer. I am observing and learning. I have teenagers.....5 BR. May 1st hatch. They seem to show the most differences for sexing.

I have noticed the pullets are more hen shaped.

You can see the one pullet in the back. The 3 in front are cockerels. They hold themselves upright...have red combs and yellow legs. They also have the more distinct barring, the saddle feathers on the rear at their tails.
So now I also have a younger hatch, just integrated in the same pen. They are 8 weeks old. Now I can make good comparisons.
I think of the little guys, I only have 2 pullets and one cockerel. The one possible cockerel has had a red comb for 4 weeks now. And he is more animated. Gets into things more than the 2 possible pullets.

Next is to get more pictures.
lol.png

Prince? Pancake here is out of a barred rock hen covered by a barnyard mix that is cream and gold with barring on his body. A huge beast of a flock protector. Am I correct in him being a him? Exactly 3 months old.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I have my first-ever three BR chicks. How early are you guys able to sex by pics alone? I had a sinking feeling that they're two cockerels and a pullet but the more I read about the early comb development and strong personalities of most all BR, the more I question it.

Anyway, these three are one to two-week-olds. Sheer guesses are welcomed. Thanks. :)

Chick #1:

Chick #2:

Chick #3:

..the Jack Russell SWEARS he could tell me just by taste, but I don't trust that kid. :gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom