Sexing Blue Marans

VintageLilFarm

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2012
The Great Northwest
I have some Blue Marans (not Blue Copper, just Blue). They are two weeks old. My Black Copper boys are starting to show some copper in their wings. Since my Blues don't do that, I've been looking at other possibilities for sexing them.

I noticed there is a marked difference in leg color for most of them. Would the more yellow be boys and the darker, more blue, be girls? Or what are your thoughts? Pic shows one leg of each color.
20180415_124842.jpg

One of my Marans cockerels started showing a much larger comb at just two weeks!

I've seen more raised combs on some of mine already also. It seems the onlyway to know 100% is to grow them out. However, I don't have space to keep 30 birds once they outgrow the brooder. So I'm trying to make my best guesses for which to keep!

I've seen more raised combs on some of mine already also. It seems the onlyway to know 100% is to grow them out. However, I don't have space to keep 30 birds once they outgrow the brooder. So I'm trying to make my best guesses for which to keep!
In that case, and if you want females, pick the birds with the smallest and palest combs. To me that's the best bet if you can't keep them all around until they're grown enough to be easily sexable.

Back
Top Bottom