Sexing Buff Orpington chicks

TheChickenProject

Chirping
13 Years
May 20, 2010
I bought two Buff Orpingtons from Agway. After viewing other posts I'm wondering if the gold one is a roo. Anybody care to give an opinion?
The gold one is about four weeks old and the I'm guessing by the late feathering that the white one is three weeks. I'll try and show the comb and waddles in the pictures.

Maybe it's just too early to tell but Agway is willing to exchange the bird if it's a roo and I don't want to wait too long.

Thanks.

58078_bird1.jpg

58078_bird5.jpg

58078_bird4.jpg

58078_bird6.jpg

The golden one (the Buff Orpington) looks like a pullet to me. The comb is showing a little, but it's not really red. Plus, the feathering looks like a pullet.

The while one is not a Buff Orpington. It is an EE - a hatchery quality Ameraucana. You can tell by the color (white vs. buff), the legs are greenish-slate, and the comb type. It, too, looks like a pullet at this point.

It won't help you much, but I can tell mine 'cause the roo came with a big green dot on his head.
wink.png
Actually, all kidding aside, I can take photos of a pullet and my little Belvedere Buffington and post them for you. Mine are only two weeks old though.

Hi
frow.gif

I have 15 Buff Orphington pullets and 1 rooster.

In my experience so far, the females are lighter colored, their feathers are softer and they
developed tails earlier than the roo's do.

My roo is a darker color, his feet are bigger than the pullets, and his tail is a little more
pointed than the pullets (their tail feathers have a rounded look to them).

Hope this helps.

60013_dscf4430.jpg

This is one of my Pullets, her tail has a rounded look to it and is a lot more fluffy.

So far my BO roos is a sweet heart.
love.gif

I had two buff orp pullets and one looked really gold and had very red comb and wattles... I thought she was a boy. I was stunned by the difference in their coloring, but saw no rooster behavior to confirm my suspicions.
Soon, you will know if you have a boy by the way he acts. If he jumps on your white one or challenges her, he's a boy.
My boyish buff is now one of 3 broody girls due to hatch soon. And she is the most protective broody I have ever had!

Thanks for all the replies! So far, its a 50/50 reply on the roo so I guess I have to wait a little longer to find out.

Greenfamilyfarms; when I purchased the birds I thought the white one looked different. I guess someone missplaced her when looking at all the chicks. My daughter really wanted her so I'm keeping her no matter what.

Luckily, I deal with the local Agway in New Egypt. They stated they will replace one of the chicks that died on me and if the pullet is a roo, they will replace him also.

Roy Rooster; My Buff seems light in color and developed an early tail. The comb and waddles came in early too.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

John

Thanks for all the replies! So far, its a 50/50 reply on the roo so I guess I have to wait a little longer to find out.

Greenfamilyfarms; when I purchased the birds I thought the white one looked different. I guess someone missplaced her when looking at all the chicks. My daughter really wanted her so I'm keeping her no matter what.

Luckily, I deal with the local Agway in New Egypt. They stated they will replace one of the chicks that died on me and if the pullet is a roo, they will replace him also.

Roy Rooster; My Buff seems light in color and developed an early tail. The comb and waddles came in early too.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

John
What was the final verdict on the gender?

If at only 4 weeks it has wattles and red on it's comb it is a rooster. I have one right now, only 3 weeks, but he has half the tail feathers as everyone else, and 2x the comb and wattles. that is what I am looking for this time around...I just lift up their head and look for the wattles.

Back
Top Bottom