Sexing button quail

Not the greats pic
Not feather sexable. Sometimes you’ll get slates like that with some red near the vent, if they’ve been crossed to other patterns, I had one that got a few rusty feathers and was otherwise solid slate with no markings. But usually you can’t tell until they lay, or sometimes the calls. I haven’t had buttons in a while, but I think the females make the ha ha haaaaaa call.

The the dark grey and rust red one
This one is hard to tell if it’s a darth or blue face. The photo isn’t super clear when I zoom in and it’s hard to see if it is uniformly blue brown, or if it has just a blue tint. Are there any red feathers on the underside at all? Any red feathers underneath means it’s a boy. The head looks like it’s more black than the body, which makes me lean towards male rb/darth. Blue face are not feather sexable.

Not feather sexable. Sometimes you’ll get slates like that with some red near the vent, if they’ve been crossed to other patterns, I had one that got a few rusty feathers and was otherwise solid slate with no markings. But usually you can’t tell until they lay, or sometimes the calls. I haven’t had buttons in a while, but I think the females make the ha ha haaaaaa call.
The silver one does the male call the blue brown one doesn’t make any call currently just the low growling sort of noise. I’ll let them get older and watch them carefully thank you

Back
Top Bottom