sexing button quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quailgirlie, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Quailgirlie

Quailgirlie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Binbrook, ontario
    Hi, I bought three button quail in august. One died shortly after. They were young but fully feathered.
    One has Some rusty vent feathers. The other is blue with brown striped pattern on wings and back.
    I thought they were a pair but neither has layed an egg. Can you confirm my suspicions that these are both boys?
    I know these birds need to live in bonded male female Pairs so I will try very hard to find some females and hope they bond. They haven't fought yet..

Quail number one. [​IMG]

And this is the other one.
    [​IMG]

I really look forward to hearing what you all think

Thanks!

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    The first one has the rust colored feathers of a boy but the second one I'm not so sure. Looks like a girl to me.

3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    How much light do these guys get? Mine only lay if they have 14 or more hours of bright artificial light a day. Give them plenty of greens as they love them! It appears the top is a male because of the rusty colored vent feathers and the bottom is a female. Males generally get a bib but I don't see one on yours. Perhaps he is blue faced? A color variation I've read that will not get bibs. They are really cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by