Sexing Cemani 11 week old, help needed

Morgank

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
Europe, Estonia
Hi!
I need confirmation do i identify correctly 11 week old Cemani birds. They don't have wattles yet, but saddle feathers can be said that nr 1 is hen and nr 2 is cockerel. Am I right? Thanks!

Attachments

• Hen.JPG
    Hen.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Cockerel.JPG
    Cockerel.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 126
Based upon comb size, I'd say they were both pullets. Its too soon to judge by the saddle feathers. The male/female specific saddle feathers won't start coming in for a few more weeks.
Thanks! All 14 birds have the same size combs. Hens (i think) have feathers that go all the to the end of the tail. Cockerels feathers stop and then turn short and curly. That's the only difference for them.

Thanks! All 14 birds have the same size combs. Hens (i think) have feathers that go all the to the end of the tail. Cockerels feathers stop and then turn short and curly. That's the only difference for them.

mmmm No, not sure where you're going there. The tails will have sycle feathers, but they don't grow in for a while. What you're looking for is the saddles. Females have floofy saddles made up of rounded feathers, males have flowy saddles made up of pointed feathers.
Saddle Feathers.jpg

mmmm No, not sure where you're going there. The tails will have sycle feathers, but they don't grow in for a while. What you're looking for is the saddles. Females have floofy saddles made up of rounded feathers, males have flowy saddles made up of pointed feathers.View attachment 1882625
Ok, here are my cemani chicken (1,3 years) back and roosters too. Hens tail is now up, if its down the feathers go like fish scales up to tail. I can't take a photo of this rooster nearby, because he disappeare quickly, he doesn't like taking pictures. And third photo is from young bird ,in my opinion - hen, who back looks just like her mother- no feather stops. Cemani breed sexing is very difficult, i know that. Their feathers are not the same as those of other breeds.

Attachments

• DSC07465.JPG
    DSC07465.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC07467.JPG
    DSC07467.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC07468.JPG
    DSC07468.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 118
Ok, here are my cemani chicken (1,3 years) back and roosters too. Hens tail is now up, if its down the feathers go like fish scales up to tail. I can't take a photo of this rooster nearby, because he disappeare quickly, he doesn't like taking pictures. And third photo is from young bird ,in my opinion - hen, who back looks just like her mother- no feather stops. Cemani breed sexing is very difficult, i know that. Their feathers are not the same as those of other breeds.
Ayam Cemani still have the same trademark sex specific saddle feathering as far as I know. As @Frazzemrat1 said it will take a few more weeks before it's super obvious, especially as a self colored bird. The good news is that selfblack is a lot easier than other self colored birds in terms of seeing the feather shape and contours due to how it refracts light. For a Cemani male you should still see the waterfall of saddle feathers come in.

Ayam Cemani still have the same trademark sex specific saddle feathering as far as I know. As @Frazzemrat1 said it will take a few more weeks before it's super obvious, especially as a self colored bird. The good news is that selfblack is a lot easier than other self colored birds in terms of seeing the feather shape and contours due to how it refracts light. For a Cemani male you should still see the waterfall of saddle feathers come in.
Ok thanks for everyone. I had to sell one cockerel tomorrow, but I can't do that.

Back
Top Bottom