sexing chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GwenReaper, Aug 7, 2010.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I have had people tell me 2 different ways to sex a chicken. I want to know if anyone has heard about these or if these would even work.

First one is sexing when they are a couple days old to a month-ish. By there wings. It you spread out its wing if the feathers are the same length all the way down then its a roo. If you see that half are long and half are a tad shorter then its a hen. I had several RIR chicks that were the same age and I saw differences in the wings, so it seemed like it could be true.

Second one- Sounds gross but wiping there butts. Wipe up and if the vent(?) puckers or winks at you then its a hen. and if you wipe and nothing happens then its a roo.

I have tried both of these but my chickens are a little young to tell anything right now until I hear a crow or get an egg.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Only certain breeds can be "wing sexed", not all and it needs to be done in the first three days.

As for the vent sexing method you described, that is entirely an old wives tale. There is a way for chickens to be correctly vent sexed, but it requires specific training and extensive practice. Even with the formal training and practice, sexers are only 90% accurate. It's best not to try to do this yourself as you can easily kill a baby chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by