Sexing chicks by their chirps.

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
So my mom was talking to a woman who wanted to buy hay from us for her chickens. The lady was a little bit displeased with the person she bought her chicks from by stating that the person had "no clue" about the sex of the chicks. She then went on to say that roosters will have a staccato chirp, and you just need to listen to each chick's voice. She still ended up with roosters anyway.

Is their any credence to this claim?
hu.gif

Just another old wive's tale. If she knew all about this difference in chirps, how come she ended up with roosters anyhow. 'Nuff said?
wink.png

Gosh if only it were that simple! All those weeks of sitting on the edge of my seat wouldn't have been necessary!
barnie.gif

I've never heard that one before. Each and every chick has it's own individual voice. Their calls may be similar, but I can tell who is chirping/talking and when. I don't need to be looking at them either.lol I think I spend way too much time with my chicks.
hide.gif

Well, my mom and I both thought it was silly, but I'm new to chickens, so I thought, why not ask the experts of BYC.
lol.png

I can tell the difference in some of my chick's voices too! Even the roos have a different crow.

Thanks for your input.
smile.png

At some point well before sexual maturity I think sex can be determined by chirp, although the differences are not pronounced enough for me to detect in chicks you are likely to purchase at store.

Back
Top Bottom