Sexing chicks in the eggs at 13 days in factory farming.

Average life span is 5 to 8 years old. But with excellence care, a rooster may live for as long as 15 years. My rooster rescue is not even started yet, so I can't post anything. It will be up and running sometime in the next few years if all goes well.

Average lifespan of factory farm meat roosters is about 8 weeks I guess. The industry breeded/selected chickens that grow extremely fast especially for this purpose. You can not keep these meat-chickens for several years. They just die because of their obesity.

The average lifespan of factory farm roosters in the egg 🥚 industry is not even 2 hours. The alternative they offer here* since 1-2 years where they keep the laying-hybrid roosters: chicks stay together and are sexed at point of lay (approx 15 weeks). This is how old these roosters get.

Keeping backyard chickens is the only way you can give a rooster a normal life and lifespan. But even then.... Most cockerels are culled for meat because it’s not convenient (quit impossible for many BYC holders) to keep many roosters. And most BYC holders in the city can have none bc they make too much noise.

If there where breeders who invested time to breed beautiful soft crowing roosters , a lot more roosters could have a wonderful BY life. But so far hobby breeders prefer breeding for looks/shows only.

* special chickenstar farm’s and eggs in a blue egg carton. The Dutch name = Kipster , and are sold at grocery store LIDL. There is more demand then there are Kipster egg/chicken farms at this moment.

Last edited:
We humans have been manipulating nature for Centuries. Every bird, cow, hog, turkey every vegetable we grow and or eat has been selectively cross bred to fit our needs.
We all take great pride in our many different breeds or varieties but sometimes we don’t think of how we really got to where we are. We are living in this MAN MADE WORLD. Like it or not we are all responsible.
I’ve worked heavy industry all my life. The last 23 years I worked in an oil refinery. Those 23 years we constantly every year installed modern equipment to reduce pollution during process and to improve the product to improve emissions from our vehicles.
Lets assume everyone here is using electricity, typing on a tablet, phone or computer. Most of the things in our homes have been the result of an oil refiner. Just fuel alone for the delivery of goods, the heating and cooling of our homes, the pumping of our water some how is connected to what some call This DIRTY oil.
Did we drive to the store today? Did we take a flight to see a relative? Do we have any plastic in Our homes. Do we have asphalt shingles on our roof?
like it or not WE HUMANS HAVE CREATED this world.
Yes we cull male chickens.

We humans have been manipulating nature for Centuries. Every bird, cow, hog, turkey every vegetable we grow and or eat has been selectively cross bred to fit our needs.
We all take great pride in our many different breeds or varieties but sometimes we don’t think of how we really got to where we are. We are living in this MAN MADE WORLD. Like it or not we are all responsible.
I’ve worked heavy industry all my life. The last 23 years I worked in an oil refinery. Those 23 years we constantly every year installed modern equipment to reduce pollution during process and to improve the product to improve emissions from our vehicles.
Lets assume everyone here is using electricity, typing on a tablet, phone or computer. Most of the things in our homes have been the result of an oil refiner. Just fuel alone for the delivery of goods, the heating and cooling of our homes, the pumping of our water some how is connected to what some call This DIRTY oil.
Did we drive to the store today? Did we take a flight to see a relative? Do we have any plastic in Our homes. Do we have asphalt shingles on our roof?
like it or not WE HUMANS HAVE CREATED this world.
Yes we cull male chickens.
Yes, men (and a few women) created this industrial world we live in. And now we live the problems caused by all this industry. And probably mainly because of the oil industry. This has not especially to do with chickens. But its time to stop ✋ and change rapidly to a circular economy.

If we don’t. California and Austalia wil burn even harder in the next decade if there are still trees to get burned and the southeast states get more and severe hurricanes. My country will flood someday if the dikes won’t hold the water anymore. People will starve because of extreme weather all over the world. In poor countries often because they can’t afford to buy food and there is nothing to harvest. More people will die bc of the climate change then with this Pandemic going on now.

10 years ago we did not know. Now we do now. And we can see what’s happening if we follow the thrust worthy news. So why don’t we change? Why do we choose governments that won’t change this industrial world 🌎 into a world that’s great to live in , in the future too. For ourselves and our children and grandchildren to come.

So now we must change to a circular economy. Me and my dh put solar panels on our roof and bought an all electric car. We don’t fly to family and friends. We don’t eat meat from factory farming. We often buy organic responsible clothing. We have our own eggs and buy organic milk. We work to change the building sector (less concrete and more wood like CLT, with hemp and straw isolation) . We don’t do everything right because that’s too expensive or complicated. But we sure hope more and more people realise we need to change from fossil industry to other ways of producing food, goods and electricity. And choose responsible.

I eat meat I drive a car. I do less harm than most "Environmentally Aware" consumers do.
Roosters, Let me explain - A tree produces thousands of seeds every year, but how many seeds in that tree's lifetime actually get to grow up and be a tree? Natural law produces a wanton amount of life that never succeeds. I did not make the rules. Culling is humane.

Back
Top Bottom