1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kuchchicks, May 12, 2015.

1. pasuit

pasuit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    I have tried this method of sexing chicks.I found it to be 100%.

2. SpringCc

SpringCc New Egg

May 6, 2015
    You could hold out the chicks wings and take a picture, you could also wait a few weeks depending on breed to determine the sex~

www.meizu-mx5.com

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    My chicks are 2 days old today, I'm going to try this! Thanks for the info!

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I would be careful. I was not aware until I was trying to figure this out that vent sexing can kill your chicks! I have decided to wait because to me it is less important to find out than risking my chicks life.

5. jbuzbee

jbuzbee Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    Waco tx
    Good info to know can anyone explain the wing sexing?

6. Drewnkat

Drewnkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Georgia
    Wing sexing depends on knowing *for sure* that you bred a slow-feathering hen to a fast-feathering rooster. If both parents were the same type, looking at wing feathers will be just as accurate as tossing a coin.

The theory is that the pullets will have longer primary feathers and shorter covert feathers on the wing, while cockerels will have feathers that are the same length.
    Again this is only accurate with very specific genetic crosses.

7. GuamChicken

GuamChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    Why do people keep saying this ??? You just turn the chick over , look at the vent and usually gravity alone reveals if its a male or female, a squeeze is not really the appropriate term. You just but gentle pressure as if you are holding a pet mouse or something. You are not going to kill or hurt anything. It's crazy to keep perpetuating this when peeps don't know what they are talking about. If you are the type of person that can't pick up a wine glass or glass cup for a drink and end up crushing the glass in your hands every time you grip it, then ya, I don't recommend you try it.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  8. GuamChicken

GuamChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    Let me know what you find. If you are able to get pics it would be great so maybe we can explain it better.

9. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I used to have rabbits and it's similar. You turn them around and GENTLY pull up their tail and either male organs come out or if nothing, it's female. But if you were rough you could really hurt them & kill them. So I know exactly what you mean! (I think ;) ) But I always emphasized that you are barely putting any pressure on them when your doing this because some people may be unintentionally rough and kill their pet.

10. Drewnkat

Drewnkat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Georgia
    Why? This is why.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/how-to-sex-chickens-male-or-female-hen.html
    Quote: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/determining_sex_in_chicks/
    Quote: http://scienceblogs.com/twominds/2008/04/14/how-to-sex-a-chick/
    Quote: Every source I was able to find about this subject recommended vent sexing be left to the pros because the risk to the chick is real AND unless you have been trained to identify the differences in the many different types of vent shapes, you're not likely to be accurate anyways.

Seriously, look at the diagrams of the different chick anatomy variations on the linked pages. There is nothing simple about it!

1 person likes this.
  11. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    When someone told me that there was a danger to vent sexing I decided to look into it myself. It ironic because all of the sites/articles that you quoted were the ones that I found as well. I also found that most people that do this type of sexing get 6+months of training. I used to be a labor and delivery nurse. One of my duties was to "check" how far along the mom was. Again this is something that sounds straight forward, but it took me 12 weeks of training to be able to do this with any accuracy. Heck it took me several weeks to just find what I was looking for! For me I finally decided that sexing the chicks (while I would love to know for curiousity sake) is just not that important and I could wait a few weeks to find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by