Sexing Ducklings (Please check here first :D )

Quote:
NOT true....our ducks came in a shipment from Metzer Farms that was to be split up and it contained among other breeds, 1 male and 5 female Black Swedish ducklings. They all had orange and black pied feet (2 toes per foot were orange, 2 per foot were black) and after a recent visit to the person who has 1 male and 4 females from that group (we have a female, with Orange and Black feet) they all look identical except for different sized bibs on each individual duck and a drake feather on the male.

So glad to hear that! I got worried when I read the prior post as we just got two Blue Swedes and they both have orange and black feet. I thought for sure we had two boys, but now I'll keep my hopes up that we have at least one little lady.
fl.gif

We have 17 hens who definitely have a "pecking order". I've introduced chicks into the flock before, but I'm new to ducks. Can I introduce them in the same way as chicks?

I'm getting confused over our Mallard's sexes. They are 5-6 weeks old. The both sound a little raspy, but one is still peeping and doing it more often. The peeping one is also the curious one, and will approach first. The other is low and hard to hear, but on occasion there will be a peep still. Also, I can't tell if my one has his drake feather curling. The very tip is slightly raised. This is the same one that has the lower voice. They are just starting to get their spectrum, so will I be able to really tell by the colors? Also, how long will it take for them to grow that?

i have 2 ducks crossed between a peakin and a campbell

i dont know how old they are but they are fully grown old problem is i dont know if i have females or males

they dont have sex feathers yet coz they are molting alot.

one of them i think are male because they have a rasping noise its not a quack, and the other i dont think it even knows if its a female oor male because she kind of quacks but sounds like a male to..

can someone please help me?
big_smile.png

im new to all this

thanks
cooka
3 chicks 2 ducks 2 chickens 3dogs 3chicks and 1 cat

RIP martha xxxx

I am also new to ducklings and I was wondering if there was any truth in the story that females have 'hooks' on their beaks to turn the eggs. Both of my babies have this and I was wondering if this would be a good indicator or if it has something to do with hatching, like chickens having the 'tooth' on the top of their beaks. Thanks :)

I am also new to ducklings and I was wondering if there was any truth in the story that females have 'hooks' on their beaks to turn the eggs. Both of my babies have this and I was wondering if this would be a good indicator or if it has something to do with hatching, like chickens having the 'tooth' on the top of their beaks. Thanks :)
Nope no truth to that. Are you referring to the egg tooth? I believe ducklings lose that after a few days.

I just noticed at the top there is a notation on sticky threads..I am just used to them being separate threads at top..sorry!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom