sexing ducks?

kajira

Crowing
Aug 6, 2016
Texas
20170103_111635.jpg

Here's my flock. I had the white ones pre-sexed. 1 boy, 3 girls. The khaki cambells were a mixed run :( my layer 300's were all girls.

my problem? is I don't know which ones are the boys and girls, and I'm not sure how many drakes they sent me in my 6 khaki cambells.

I know I have at least ONE brown female, you can see her... but some of the others are more "Girl like" and none of them fight with each other, I cannot tell which one is which. haha!

Ideas? What would your guesses be? I only need a couple of boys, so if I have a ton of boys, I need to decide when to eat them, or sell the drakes.

You should be able to tell by their voices now. Low and raspy is a drake, loud and braying is a female.

You should be able to tell by their voices now. Low and raspy is a drake, loud and braying is a female.
Mine all sound a like, and I know for a fact, I have at least 2 males for sure. If I go by feather coloring, I have 5 males in the brown ducks, which would greatly upset me :(

20170103_111632.jpg

Try this.......Remove one at a time. Pick one up and walk away. Hens QUACK LOUD......Drakes sound like they spent a night at Bingo....lol........They are young so no fighting will take place till around 8 months old......

Cheers!

Try this.......Remove one at a time. Pick one up and walk away. Hens QUACK LOUD......Drakes sound like they spent a night at Bingo....lol........They are young so no fighting will take place till around 8 months old......

Cheers!
I can't really get close enough to grab them. It traumatizes them, they were handled from day old babies, but still don't like to be touched, grabbed and will stampede anything in their path to avoid being grabbed, or touched.

I gave up on taming them beyond having them come when called for food. LOL

When do they start laying, btw? They are between 3-5 months old. (some of them are older.)

Last edited:
lol......It worries you more than them......Once caught they are okay to quickly test voices...Young Ducks are drama, drama, drama..........Mine are 9 months and are breeding and laying eggs........

Also your Ducks are very cute.....

Cheers!

lol......It worries you more than them......Once caught they are okay to quickly test voices...Young Ducks are drama, drama, drama..........Mine are 9 months and are breeding and laying eggs........

Also your Ducks are very cute.....

Cheers!
probably. LOL

They all sound alike. Maybe i'll have my kids catch them today. I could try to video tape it and let you those of you who know what ducks sound like, tell me which ones a girl and which ones a boy.

Back
Top Bottom