Sexing Easter Eggers

Pics

Hey folks -- long time, no see.

I'm no longer keeping chickens (moved to the big city and I'm pretty sure my landlord wouldn't like them in the living room), but my folks let me start peeps every couple years during my summer visit and then care for them as adults. This black beauty is an EE, hatchery-sexed female. Dad's worried she's a he due to some "honking" (which I haven't heard... very well could just be that grumbly EE cluck) and the pinkness of the comb. These guys will all be 10 weeks tomorrow.

If you're able to zoom that picture, the comb to me looks like a single line, the legs look fine, there's no red patching. The only thing that concerns me is the possible curve of the hackle feathers at the moment, and I can't see those as well as I'd like. This is the best picture they sent me.

Thoughts?

Hey folks -- long time, no see.

I'm no longer keeping chickens (moved to the big city and I'm pretty sure my landlord wouldn't like them in the living room), but my folks let me start peeps every couple years during my summer visit and then care for them as adults. This black beauty is an EE, hatchery-sexed female. Dad's worried she's a he due to some "honking" (which I haven't heard... very well could just be that grumbly EE cluck) and the pinkness of the comb. These guys will all be 10 weeks tomorrow.

If you're able to zoom that picture, the comb to me looks like a single line, the legs look fine, there's no red patching. The only thing that concerns me is the possible curve of the hackle feathers at the moment, and I can't see those as well as I'd like. This is the best picture they sent me.

Thoughts?
Female.

Yep pullet

I wouldnt worry about the curvy hackel feathers. I have 4 hatchery EEs, 3 that are nine weeks. They all have the curved feathers as long as there is no pointy ones coming in :)

I don't think the brown one is but the other 3
Have slate colored legs, but I was to when I got them that they were all EEs

I was wondering where the feathery legs came from, and she had the chipmunk pattern when it was small.
The chipmunk look is not exclusive to Easter Eggers. The one with the black head has the best chance for colored eggs. The other two have single combs so blue/green eggs aren't likely. The one with feathered legs is most likely a Cochin mix.

Back
Top Bottom