Sexing Easter Eggers

Pics
Vent sexing is the only thing you can do to sex when they're very young. 5 weeks is usually the minimum for sexing pea-combed breeds. Some claim to do it earlier by the width of the peas (3 rows--cockerel, 1 row--pullet), but I find this doesn't work for EEs. Many birds will make you wait until they're 8 weeks to be really clear on sex. Obviously nothing is 100% until they crow or lay, but we can generally get to be 99% sure by 8-12 weeks.

Easter Eggers tend to have specific color patterns that are different in males and females. Generally, there is what I have taken to calling: partridge and black and white (there are many variations on these, but they are the basics).

Pullet patterns often flow evenly down the body. Cockerel patterns are broken up with splotches of color, especially dark red patches (like the partridge cockerel in the photo). Pullets tend to have the same color on their heads and necks, whereas cockerels tend to develop a separate head color and neck color.

The below photo is what I try to use to explain this:

The bird in the very top of the photo is a partridge cockerel.
Then a partridge pullet.
Then a black and white cockerel.
Then a black and white pullet.

Here are some of the same birds in individual photos:

Partridge cockerel (notice the red splotches across the shoulders, the orange head with gold hackles):

Partridge pullet (even color pattern, no red splotches, orange head and orange hackles, salmon breast--this one is always a pullet trait):

Black and white cockerels (very splotchy coloring, head is white and hackles are black):

Black and white pullet (head is white and hackles are white, color pattern is the same all over the body):

These are all just guidelines, and there are definitely exceptions. We follow up these guidelines with analysis of comb (red early is a cockerel, as usual) and behavior (friendly and brave is a cockerel, as usual). If everything adds up to one sex or the other, it is fairly likely (80-90%). If only a few things add up, then we may have to wait a few more weeks.

This kind of sexing tends to work best with hatchery EEs; the home grown variety are better sexed by comb and other typical methods, rather than color.

Hope that answered some of you questions.

ETA: Extra photos.
This was EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you!

Vent sexing is the only thing you can do to sex when they're very young. 5 weeks is usually the minimum for sexing pea-combed breeds. Some claim to do it earlier by the width of the peas (3 rows--cockerel, 1 row--pullet), but I find this doesn't work for EEs. Many birds will make you wait until they're 8 weeks to be really clear on sex. Obviously nothing is 100% until they crow or lay, but we can generally get to be 99% sure by 8-12 weeks.

Easter Eggers tend to have specific color patterns that are different in males and females. Generally, there is what I have taken to calling: partridge and black and white (there are many variations on these, but they are the basics).

Pullet patterns often flow evenly down the body. Cockerel patterns are broken up with splotches of color, especially dark red patches (like the partridge cockerel in the photo). Pullets tend to have the same color on their heads and necks, whereas cockerels tend to develop a separate head color and neck color.

The below photo is what I try to use to explain this:

The bird in the very top of the photo is a partridge cockerel.
Then a partridge pullet.
Then a black and white cockerel.
Then a black and white pullet.

Here are some of the same birds in individual photos:

Partridge cockerel (notice the red splotches across the shoulders, the orange head with gold hackles):

Partridge pullet (even color pattern, no red splotches, orange head and orange hackles, salmon breast--this one is always a pullet trait):

Black and white cockerels (very splotchy coloring, head is white and hackles are black):

Black and white pullet (head is white and hackles are white, color pattern is the same all over the body):

These are all just guidelines, and there are definitely exceptions. We follow up these guidelines with analysis of comb (red early is a cockerel, as usual) and behavior (friendly and brave is a cockerel, as usual). If everything adds up to one sex or the other, it is fairly likely (80-90%). If only a few things add up, then we may have to wait a few more weeks.

This kind of sexing tends to work best with hatchery EEs; the home grown variety are better sexed by comb and other typical methods, rather than color.

Hope that answered some of you questions.

ETA: Extra photos.
By the way - would you say this 10 week old easter egger is a pullet?

Attachments

• tempImage9D7Xnr.png
    tempImage9D7Xnr.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
Was told in another post this 7 week old EE
990E9C3B-2DCD-4A80-A07E-0E774B0C9C9F.jpeg
0880A7F6-B828-4D0F-9758-88E4D1484543.jpeg
is a cockerel. Trying to learn a little more about sexing since I am new at this. I know if there is red over wings that means male, but this bird has red all throughout and some white in wings as well. I only see one row on comb too so what am I missing!? Seems unanimous that’s it’s a boy, but I would love to be able to understand myself. Thank you!

Was told in another post this 7 week old EE View attachment 2753309View attachment 2753310is a cockerel. Trying to learn a little more about sexing since I am new at this. I know if there is red over wings that means male, but this bird has red all throughout and some white in wings as well. I only see one row on comb too so what am I missing!? Seems unanimous that’s it’s a boy, but I would love to be able to understand myself. Thank you!
That splotchy redness means cockerel. That and the comb with three distinct rows of peas.

That splotchy redness means cockerel. That and the comb with three distinct rows of peas.
I must have no idea what to look for because I only see one row haha. Thanks for clarification on splotchy red though, I thought it was only red on wings, so that had me confused.

I picked up these 3 yesterday, told they were all EEs. The smaller, whiter one was supposed to be cockerel (and I'm pretty sure that's accurate) and the other two hens. However, the more I look online, the more I think the red is a cockerel as well due to the colors and comb.

They're still fairly skittish and won't come too near. The white and red are ~12 weeks, the black and white is 16ish.

I'm mostly curious now as it's still a good time to try and exchange them without having to quarantine again.

Attachments

• PSX_20210903_151328.jpg
    PSX_20210903_151328.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • PSX_20210903_151241.jpg
    PSX_20210903_151241.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • PSX_20210903_151145.jpg
    PSX_20210903_151145.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • PSX_20210903_151052.jpg
    PSX_20210903_151052.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 15
I picked up these 3 yesterday, told they were all EEs. The smaller, whiter one was supposed to be cockerel (and I'm pretty sure that's accurate) and the other two hens. However, the more I look online, the more I think the red is a cockerel as well due to the colors and comb.

They're still fairly skittish and won't come too near. The white and red are ~12 weeks, the black and white is 16ish.

I'm mostly curious now as it's still a good time to try and exchange them without having to quarantine again.
The whiter one with a single comb may be an Easter Egger although I wouldn't be surprised if he were just a mix. The other two are definitely Easter Eggers. As for genders, the black and white one with a beard looks to be the only pullet :)

Back
Top Bottom