Sexing Eggs Experiment

Quote:
clap.gif
Well said!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
yep it said accurate to 90% on chicks...........noway, no how and so on.......some people will believe anything.

let see we prove . wish for roosters you get 2/3 pullets

bring home incubator in the car you will hatch mostly rooster.

need to try putting eggs in incubator standing on just left leg....see which sex we will get more of that way.

Quote:
Yes there is, but it has nothing to do with the bird's gender or magnetism. It's called the ideomotor effect. This is a well-documented psychological phenomenon that's been tested and retested extensively. It involves unconscious movements by the experimenter's own hand that causes a pendulum, dowsing rod, or Ouija Board planchette to move in the manner expected by the experimenter. These movements can be so minute that the experimenter is unaware they're even happening. Consequently, many dowsers have a fully honest belief that their perceived ability is indeed of supernatural origin.

Gosh, my grandmother douses everything under the sun. It is all a bunch of hogwash, but she believes in her supernatural motions and potions. She is 85, so we don't say a word, but it is rather embarrassing when she does it in a restaurant to make sure there is nothing 'bad' in the food
roll.png

Quote:
Yes there is, but it has nothing to do with the bird's gender or magnetism. It's called the ideomotor effect. This is a well-documented psychological phenomenon that's been tested and retested extensively. It involves unconscious movements by the experimenter's own hand that causes a pendulum, dowsing rod, or Ouija Board planchette to move in the manner expected by the experimenter. These movements can be
so minute that the experimenter is unaware they're even happening. Consequently, many dowsers have a fully honest belief that their perceived ability is indeed of supernatural origin.

That's exactly what the whole theory behind dowsing: your subconscious knoes the answer and causes minute vibrations that move the pendelum the right way. Hey, it works for me. I mean, sciencr doesn't know everythingand some things are just unexplainable!

I'm all for people having fun and trying things. We should not get too serious about all this. But you have to realize it is a fun thing to do. A one-off time is not a statistically relevent experiment. No matter what the results of this one sample, it will not prove the theory works any more than me getting all pullets in a straight run order from Cackle proves that all straight run orders from Cackle will give you all or mostly pullets.

In most scientific experiments, you hold the theory you are testing as the only variable. You run a test to set the standard, then play with that one variable to see if it gives consistent or consistently different results. I think this is pretty much the opposite. To prove this theory, not only would you need to hold this variable constrant, you would have to try it with all other variables all over the board.

If we can agree that the hen determines the chromosome that determines sex when she lays the egg, we can eliminate a lot of variables that have to do with incubation. No, wait. That is not true. Maybe if the incubator runs a little warm, the pullets are the most likely to survive and hatch. Not that incubation temperature determines sex, but does it determine which sex survives to hatch? Or is it humidity that controls that? I'm not sure. I guess we have to include even more different variables. Not as simple to set up as I thought.

Diet has been mentioned as a possible variable, so different hatches from hens that have been on many different diets. It has been suggested that certain hens throw more girls than boys, so eggs from many different flocks are needed. It has to work on round and pointy eggs. Eggs laid in the heat of summmer versus the cold of winter. Eggs stored warmer than the recommended temperatures and eggs stored cooler. Eggs laid with various planetary alignments and different phases of the moon. Maybe eggs that are large for that breed versus eggs that are small for that breed. Still air versus forced air versus broody, maybe. Eggs laid in the morning versus eggs laid in the aftenoon. Age of hens might be a variable. I'll ignore whether the incubator was in a car or truck, but you can include whatever variables you see fit. In other words, this would have to prove pretty consistent in a wide range of conditions on a lot of different hatches.

I'm not convinced that you getting mostly roosters with this one hatch would totally disprove the theory either. You might have applied it wrong. I think you would still have to do several more hatches with different people applying the method, before it was conclusively disproved. And if you get a statistically significant number of hatches, even a 5% variation would show there is something to this.

Like I said, have fun with it and don't get too serious about it. Keeping chickens is supposed to relieve stress, not cause it.

Quote:
I did answer that question,
Now just because hatcheries dont feed exoctic grains or cull all their older roos, doesnt mean it doesnt work. Its a matter of economics, cost of the specialty feed and cost of keeping more roos, that out weighs the benefit of the results.

Changeing the sex ratios by a few percentage points by doubleing your feed bill doesnt produce a better bottom line. Hatcheries are in it for the money, anything that increase cost must be offset by a equal profit margin. Young roosters versus old rooster only changes the ratios from 50/50 to something like 55/45, changeing to more expensive feed is only 60/40. Imagine swinging a magnet, ( Assumeing this method works and I believe it does) over every single egg to determine the sex, the time and labor involved. And what are you going to do with all the roo eggs you dont want to hatch. Its much cheaper to just hatch everything and cull the ones you dont want to keep.​

Back
Top Bottom