Sexing eggs!

Okay, I have decided to do another last hatch. I am off to buy 6 LF hatching eggs this afternoon and set them. So, the roundest ones I can find.... heres hoping for all pullets!

Okay, I have decided to do another last hatch. I am off to buy 6 LF hatching eggs this afternoon and set them. So, the roundest ones I can find.... heres hoping for all pullets!

Interesting thread. Where do you get your fertile eggs from, Kirstie? I'm also in the UK and looking for something similar.

Hi luddite, my secret is that i buy them as eating eggs from Godstone farm. They have a huge amount of breeds and they sell all the eggs for eating but i find 4/6 are fertile. They ssegregate their birds too so they are ( mostly i have had one exception!) Pure breed. They do pencil on the eggs the date and breed but i find some of the breed codes are incorrect. I suspect not all the workers are familiar with all the breeds. But its ideal for me because i dont really mind what i get.

Hi luddite, my secret is that i buy them as eating eggs from Godstone farm. They have a huge amount of breeds and they sell all the eggs for eating but i find 4/6 are fertile. They ssegregate their birds too so they are ( mostly i have had one exception!) Pure breed. They do pencil on the eggs the date and breed but i find some of the breed codes are incorrect. I suspect not all the workers are familiar with all the breeds. But its ideal for me because i dont really mind what i get.

A bit far for me, I'll have to look closer to home. Like you, I'm not fussed about breeds, I love them all :)

Its part of the fun, waiting and watching and guessing what they are. I have put a few up on here when I cant identify them and I always am amazed at the knowledge on this site.

I used this method with my last clutch that was hatched under a broody. I got 83% pullets!!! Obviously, this was not a large scale research study, but my results were good enough that I will certainly be trying it again the next time I want to hatch chicks. It certainly can't hurt anything.

Last edited:
I used this method with my last clutch that was hatched under a broody. I got 83% pullets!!! Obviously, this was not a large scale research study, but my results were good enough that I will certainly be trying it again the next time I want to hatch chicks. It certainly can't hurt anything.
I'm glad I'm not the only one having positive results with this.

Back
Top Bottom