Sexing eggs!

So 2 pairs of my pigeons have just layed the second egg in their clutch and are starting to try and brood them, With both clutches the first egg is more pointy compared to the second egg. Once my crested pigeons lay some eggs I'll see if it's the same and let them hatch the pointy one, hoping for a male. Will post the results.

If you have multiple pigeons laying and setting, would it work to switch out eggs (assuming that they're on the same lay/set schedule) to give 2 pointy eggs to one and 2 roundy eggs to the other???

Yeah that would work, will try it next spring!
big_smile.png
Right now I have too many so can't try it just yet, and I'm kinda attached to all of them so not sure if I could sell any.

Edited to add that all my female pigeons lay their eggs within a couple days of each-other, 1-4 days before the full moon so switching out eggs will be easy.

Last edited:
I'll keep it going here in New Zealand because it is spring. The broody hen that I am using for the experiment in my post above is sitting tight. He first week is nearly complete. It will be interesting to compare her "selected" eggs and the ones already under a further 4 broody hens.
Two clutches are due tomorrow and two next Thursday. The eggs under these four were randomly selected for all other traits except the "sexing" theory.
Historically over a season, I would say that I average 50/50 male vs female.
It is going to be interesting and I have another hen about to go down and I will select egg shape again with her.

Just a quick update. This is the second lot of selected eggs going under a broody. Hopefully she will sit.
The first chicks arrived here yesterday under broody number 1. She had 12 eggs, all were fertile, 11 hatched, one pipped but through a vein by the looks of it and died. These are chicks from randomly selected eggs and before I joined this thread.
Another clutch is due today. Also randomly selected eggs.
I have now read the document that was originally part of this thread. Stuff like this interests me hugely. The shape index does appear to be an important factor so I'm off to buy calipers to see if I can work it out. Much of the scientific and mathematical stuff is beyond me but I will just experiment here with what I do understand.

Back
Top Bottom