sexing for real

Silkies and Polish (I don't even attempt to venture guesses at the latter) are certainly significantly more difficult to determine genders on, and I'm nearly positive all experienced members here understand these fundamentals. :) The length of time it takes to be sure in some cases is astonishing! However, when considering a few lesser quality Silkies, the gender game becomes much easier. Take my Fabio, for example. He possesses not only an incorrect comb type, but also one that doesn't conform to any comb type category. I'd label it a modified single comb, perhaps. Because of this improper comb, his identity became apparent quite early due to the fact it developed much faster than the standard walnut. By around 10 weeks, I had a couple of my Silkie cockerels singled out for this very reason. They also acquired wattles much sooner than everyone else. Chock it up to those inferior Silkies!

~Alex
Interesting! I've heard others say that the hatchery quality silkies are HARDER to sex than SQ,BQ birds- perhaps because the topknot feathering is not as prolific and so not as different in appearance between sexes? I don't know. The silkies in my post pic are pet quality birds from a breeder who has some really nice birds too but lets all of his birds free range and breed at random. ) : I won't be buying from him again. But I'm keeping the cuckoo pullet despite her incorrect comb because she is the SWEETEST smartest silkie I've ever had !

Interesting! I've heard others say that the hatchery quality silkies are HARDER to sex than SQ,BQ birds- perhaps because the topknot feathering is not as prolific and so not as different in appearance between sexes? I don't know. The silkies in my post pic are pet quality birds from a breeder who has some really nice birds too but lets all of his birds free range and breed at random. ) : I won't be buying from him again. But I'm keeping the cuckoo pullet despite her incorrect comb because she is the SWEETEST smartest silkie I've ever had !
Believe me, some are! It took 6 months to figure out once and for all what I had, simply by observing behavior. 3 of the cockerels (hatched in May, mind you) are FINALLY crowing. ;) Pea and walnut-combed hatchery Silkies prove to be quite difficult, even for experts. Yes, two have peas. :rolleyes:

Such sweet fluffballs! :love A far cry cuter than mine, too! :lol: Cuckoo is both an unusual Silkie color, and absolutely stunning.

~Alex

Believe me, some are! It took 6 months to figure out once and for all what I had, simply by observing behavior. 3 of the cockerels (hatched in May, mind you) are FINALLY crowing. ;) Pea and walnut-combed hatchery Silkies prove to be quite difficult, even for experts. Yes, two have peas. :rolleyes:

Such sweet fluffballs! :love A far cry cuter than mine, too! :lol: Cuckoo is both an unusual Silkie color, and absolutely stunning.

~Alex
OK, question for you- bear with me here...I had 6 beautiful typey chicks from my my fairly decent quality hen- the hen is better quality than my cuckoo chick but was much tougher to tell her gender when she was a pullet. She was very tomboy-ish and I was pleasantly surprised when her dna test showed her to be a she- shes been a great layer and she went broody for the 1st time this fall and was very determined to incubate her eggs so I let her even tho I didnt really want winter chicks. Weird thing tho- heres my question- there was a full 5 day lag between first egg hatch and 2nd one- entire hatch took 12 full days. Hen started setting right away after starting to lay so that accounts for a day or so between hatchings- but 5 days?! How does that happen? I do believe that 1st to hatch was fathered by different roo than other chicks because 1st chick is blue, rest are splash. Hen is splash and current roo is splash but I had a black roo here too and rehomed him about a week before hen laid this clutch. But 2 different fathers wouldnt affect timing of hatch, would it? Im baffled.

OK, question for you- bear with me here...I had 6 beautiful typey chicks from my my fairly decent quality hen- the hen is better quality than my cuckoo chick but was much tougher to tell her gender when she was a pullet. She was very tomboy-ish and I was pleasantly surprised when her dna test showed her to be a she- shes been a great layer and she went broody for the 1st time this fall and was very determined to incubate her eggs so I let her even tho I didnt really want winter chicks. Weird thing tho- heres my question- there was a full 5 day lag between first egg hatch and 2nd one- entire hatch took 12 full days. Hen started setting right away after starting to lay so that accounts for a day or so between hatchings- but 5 days?! How does that happen? I do believe that 1st to hatch was fathered by different roo than other chicks because 1st chick is blue, rest are splash. Hen is splash and current roo is splash but I had a black roo here too and rehomed him about a week before hen laid this clutch. But 2 different fathers wouldnt affect timing of hatch, would it? Im baffled.
No, different fathers wouldn’t affect hatching times. But the day the eggs were laid might. Do you have other birds that may be the mother to the eggs? Mine like to steal eggs and some like to hide eggs under broodys.

Back
Top Bottom