sexing light brahma

vsmenagerie

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2011
MT
7 weeks old. I know its probably still early and I have read/heard that these guys can be harder to sex?

9eedf52a.jpg

8126881e.jpg

5f2ad8b5.jpg

d56dff4e.jpg

17501692.jpg

aba886b5.jpg

Cockerel for the first and second pic, well, all of them, really--are these all the same bird or different birds? Comb is red and the black goes way down his back, which I find happens in the males more than the girls.

Im thinking the first one is a boy as well, but all their faces are red? All the same bird. I pulled him out last and took a bunch. Here is a pic of one of the others. My daughter actually freaked out when she first noticed it and came running to tell me lol The comb difference between the first one and the rest is pretty obvious, which is one reason Ive been curious about it.

6d50d893.jpg

81e0cf0e.jpg

8fe977b7.jpg

Last edited:
I've only had one Lt. Brahma cockerel, a sexing mistake, so I'm not a huge expert. I still have one Lt. Brahma and a Buff Brahma hen, bought at the same time. At 7 weeks, I don't usually see much red in the combs of any pullets. Usually, the wider combs are the males in pea combed breeds.

Looks like a boy.

Very exciting, I have 2 10-day-old light brahmas in a brooder in the other room. I can't wait until they start feathering out, yours looks neat.

Quote:
Its been a lot of fun watching them all grow up and change. They started out almost all the identical.

Quote:
Thanks! I have one more that I will get pics of, as she/he is the most black still and has been since a chick. The first one is the biggest difference between the group, mainly in the comb. I will try to get all 5 out and take some group shots.

Back
Top Bottom