sexing light brahma

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vsmenagerie, Sep 17, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    7 weeks old. I know its probably still early and I have read/heard that these guys can be harder to sex?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cockerel for the first and second pic, well, all of them, really--are these all the same bird or different birds? Comb is red and the black goes way down his back, which I find happens in the males more than the girls.

3. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Im thinking the first one is a boy as well, but all their faces are red? All the same bird. I pulled him out last and took a bunch. Here is a pic of one of the others. My daughter actually freaked out when she first noticed it and came running to tell me lol The comb difference between the first one and the rest is pretty obvious, which is one reason Ive been curious about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've only had one Lt. Brahma cockerel, a sexing mistake, so I'm not a huge expert. I still have one Lt. Brahma and a Buff Brahma hen, bought at the same time. At 7 weeks, I don't usually see much red in the combs of any pullets. Usually, the wider combs are the males in pea combed breeds.

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    The first bird looks like a cockerel to me. That is about the size of a comb that my 20 something week light brahmas have.

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Looks like a boy.

Very exciting, I have 2 10-day-old light brahmas in a brooder in the other room. I can't wait until they start feathering out, yours looks neat.

7. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Its been a lot of fun watching them all grow up and change. They started out almost all the identical.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like ALL girls to me.

10. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Thanks! I have one more that I will get pics of, as she/he is the most black still and has been since a chick. The first one is the biggest difference between the group, mainly in the comb. I will try to get all 5 out and take some group shots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by