Sexing Light Sussex

swift081702

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Kiowa, CO
We are new to chickens and these are our first Light Sussex chicks. They are 4-6 weeks now. I think I can tell the sex of all of them, but there is one I am not sure of. The comb is close to the head, but the bird is large like the others. Do I have two females here or just one? The last one I am thinking is a male?

Pic. 1 [
29748_4916.jpg

Pic. 2
29748_4909.jpg

Pic 3
29748_4899.jpg

I do not know if it is the 1st pic or the 2nd pic you are having questions on? But yes I believe the 3rd pic is a male. 1st is Female and 2nd also a male. But it seems a little blurred to me.

My friend indicated that male's Combs and Waddles will show color earlier than females.

When you see the whole group again. Look to see which individuals show more color in their combs/waddles.

Hope this Helps....

I had a question on the first two. The first I was thinking was a female, but the second I wasn't sure. She/He is about 4-6 days younger than the rest. The comb is a buff color and very light, which I read can be an indication that it's a female. However, the comb seems a bit bigger ...so maybe a male.

Back
Top Bottom