Sexing my 1 month old chicks

I hatched my first chicks (Chickpea and Pumpkin!) in March, I volunteer on a smallholding and we have hatched quite a few there and have a lot of hens!

I've got Pumpkin (female) who is mostly BO with a bit of hybrid mixed in there somewhere (she looks very like a pure buff!)
And Chickpea (male) who is half BO and half unknown breed (he is a ginger-brown sort of colour!)

They both come from my flock which includes:
(their dad called geralt who was a pure BO was sold because he was aggressive)
Hegardy- Pumpkin's mum, 3/4 BO 1/4 hybrid (lays light brown eggs)
Florence- Chickpea's mum unknown breed (lays cream eggs)
Harriet- unknown breed (lays green eggs)
Penny- retired hybrid rescue
Lavender- retired grey hen unknown breed rescue
8 random mixed breeds from the ones above (5 months old) (Peanut, Prince Peach, Dewdrop, May, Tootsie, Butternut squash, Brave, Snow white) (3 males, 5 females)
5 pure BOs (4 months old) (unnamed)
Linda- 1/2 black croud langshan 1/2 BO (2 months) (male)
Nora- 1/2 white croud langshan 1/2 BO (2 months) (female)
Tina- Pure BO (2 months) (female)
Alan- 1/2 copper maran 1/2 BO (2 months) (male)
plus 5 muscovy ducks and 7 ducklings

It's really too young to know for certain, a good age to tell is around 8 weeks old.
None are obvious cockerels as of now. Only one I'm suspicious of is #1.
Thanks. It's just so much bigger than the others and I was told it's uneven pattern meant roo. This was him/ her as a baby

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_223952_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_223952_Gallery.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks. It's just so much bigger than the others and I was told it's uneven pattern meant roo. This was him/ her as a baby
Uneven and splotchy patterning does often mean its a boy. It'll be easier to tell on that once he/she is all feathered in.
For the size, it's not too reliable to sex that way. I've found it varies.

I have 4,1 month old chicks. 2 easter eggers and 2 prairie bluebell eggers. I am fairly sure 1 is a rooster because he's much bigger than the others. But I've never had to do this with peacombs before. Any chance you can give your input on pullets vs cockerels?
I would give them a few more weeks to see.

I see several that "might" be males, or they might be females. I really would not want to commit to any gender statements on them right now.

This was my EE Cockrell at a month old his comb was already very distinctive lol I'd say you have all pullets
Oh yeah WOW that's a very noticeable comb. Thank you
That is a single comb. Pea combs tend to be much smaller and less obvious, even in males.

Back
Top Bottom