Sexing my ducks

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Can anyone help me with these ducks? I hatched out 5. One got taken by Mr Fox, one I know for sure is a girl but I can't figure out these 3. I'm pretty sure I've got at least 1 drake. They are Runner x Appleyard Rouen. Hatched 30/6. Pictures taken this morning.
Please excuse my other duck. Had to be in the picture. And the brown duck in the bottom picture is their hatch mate. She threw back to the hens side while the others all threw back to the runners just fatter.
20211021_101056.jpg

20211021_101032.jpg

They should be quacking by now.
The one in the middle with the drake curl is definitely a drake. So any ducks that sound like him are male - louder ducks with an actual quack female.
Yes, he’s the one we figured to be a drake. The other 2 have stumped me though because there is no quacks at all from them. I haven’t heard them make a noise. The only one who makes a noise is the brown one. They also don’t have their tails curled like the other one.

Yes, he’s the one we figured to be a drake. The other 2 have stumped me though because there is no quacks at all from them. I haven’t heard them make a noise. The only one who makes a noise is the brown one. They also don’t have their tails curled like the other one.
Not all drake curls pop up. But, if they are quiet, you can pick them up and walk away from the flock they should quack then. I have one female that is quieter than her sisters, but if I pick her up and walk away, she quacks loudly.

Not all drake curls pop up. But, if they are quiet, you can pick them up and walk away from the flock they should quack then. I have one female that is quieter than her sisters, but if I pick her up and walk away, she quacks loudly.
Okay, I’ll try that tonight at lock up. At a guess though would you say they’re males or females?

I have to ask? What color are mom and dad? If I understand your posts correctly, I am guessing dad is a white runner and you think mom is an Appleyard Rouen cross? Asking because if I understand the genetics correctly, white ducks have to get a recessive white allele from both of their parents. See this post:https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/
An Appleyard Rouen mix shouldn’t carry white? I am just curious. I enjoy trying to figure out genetics.

I have to ask? What color are mom and dad? If I understand your posts correctly, I am guessing dad is a white runner and you think mom is an Appleyard Rouen cross? Asking because if I understand the genetics correctly, white ducks have to get a recessive white allele from both of their parents. See this post:https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/
An Appleyard Rouen mix shouldn’t carry white? I am just curious. I enjoy trying to figure out genetics.
I was told she was an appleyard x Rouen? She is a brown with darker brown markings on her body. I can try to get a picture of her at lock up too. We got 5 black Rouens off a lady a couple of years ago. All the pictures I’ve seen of Rouens are brown though so I’m assuming there’s something else mixed in there? One of the girls hatched out 11 babies, all black except for this one. She’s the only one that survived from a fox attack that took all the ducks and ducklings. We got a purebred white runner earlier this year and we have another black Rouen hen that started laying these last couple of months.

The Rouens are all from the same lady.

Okay, I’ll try that tonight at lock up. At a guess though would you say they’re males or females?
The white mixes wouldn't be distinguishable by just looking at them unless the drake curl is present. You tube has lots of voice sexing videos that are helpful.

I was told she was an appleyard x Rouen? She is a brown with darker brown markings on her body. I can try to get a picture of her at lock up too. We got 5 black Rouens off a lady a couple of years ago. All the pictures I’ve seen of Rouens are brown though so I’m assuming there’s something else mixed in there? One of the girls hatched out 11 babies, all black except for this one. She’s the only one that survived from a fox attack that took all the ducks and ducklings. We got a purebred white runner earlier this year and we have another black Rouen hen that started laying these last couple of months.

The Rouens are all from the same lady.
Interesting! I wonder if your female is 1/2 Pekin? The gene for white prevents color from being added to the feathers but the duck still has the other color genes present. Those other colors become apparent when a white duck is crossed to a duck without any white alleles. Pekin often seem to carry black with a white bib but I guess they could have other colors?! I look forward to seeing the pictures! They are very pretty btw!

Interesting! I wonder if your female is 1/2 Pekin? The gene for white prevents color from being added to the feathers but the duck still has the other color genes present. Those other colors become apparent when a white duck is crossed to a duck without any white alleles. Pekin often seem to carry black with a white bib but I guess they could have other colors?! I look forward to seeing the pictures! They are very pretty btw!
I’ll try and get a picture of my whole flock later then and you can tell me what you think. Yeah, they are pretty cute! Hoping most of them are girls so I don’t have to send them to freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom