Sexing my Peafowl!

Jul 19, 2021
I've been struggling to figure out whether my black shoulder peafowl is male or female, at first I thought she was a male, but after reading a bit, my best guess is female. Here are some pictures. (I have a younger picture and an older picture).

I figured out I had a white male (Prince), he can be seen in the older picture to the right of Athina.

Athina(2).jpg
Athina.jpg

I am leaning male although there are no triangles showing, only a line through the feather. I hate to say 'too early' but you will see a difference in a couple of weeks that will tell us more.
Where should I look for "triangles" I've never heard that term before...
I'll post some pictures in a couple weeks, and ask for your opinion then to make sure! Thank you!

I am leaning male although there are no triangles showing, only a line through the feather. I hate to say 'too early' but you will see a difference in a couple of weeks that will tell us more.
I saw a different thread where someone said you can tell by how the tail feathers lay out... that's how I was able to discern my white peacock. Prince has a "V" looking tail rather than a more rounded one, that was why I thought the Black Shoulder was female... I could be wrong though, just wanna know what you think about that. Is that a good way to tell gender between peafowl, or are there more key clues?
Thanks.

I saw a different thread where someone said you can tell by how the tail feathers lay out... that's how I was able to discern my white peacock. Prince has a "V" looking tail rather than a more rounded one, that was why I thought the Black Shoulder was female... I could be wrong though, just wanna know what you think about that. Is that a good way to tell gender between peafowl, or are there more key clues?
Thanks.
It sometimes works if the bird is old enough and the tail is pristine. It is not a sure thing to go by.

The White is way too early to tell, I DNA every White we produce at a few weeks so I know what I can sell earlier. The BS I am prone to say hen but I am not 100% on that. Unfortunately, the area that would show more is just behind the neck where it meets the saddle.
Alright, I'll probably try and get a DNA test for my white then, I really can't tell and I would like to get a female peachick if he's a male or the other way around.
I'll try and get a better neck pic, see if anything is visible. :)

Back
Top Bottom