Sexing Narragansett poults

crazyscapes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Hello!

Does anyone know if you can tell a male from a female turkey poult depending on if they have the snood or not?

I hatched two Narragansett poults - they are now about 40 hours old. I believe they are from the same parents (I ordered online) and one has a snood growing already and the other does not. The one with the snood would be a tom, right? But this one is super docile and smaller than the one without the snood. Any info would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mary
!

Both of your poults will end up with snoods. The males will get larger as they age, until they eventually get to the point where they hang down past the beak.

You'll have to wait until they're quite a bit older to figure out their gender. And, some birds mature sooner than others. I raise black Spanish, and out of 6 poults, I was pretty certain I had 1 tom and 5 hens. When our boy was taken by the neighbors dog, I started searching for and then purchased another tom. The only breed I could find was a Narragansett. Then, at around 8 months old, one of the BS "hens" I kept back for myself started strutting, thumping and gobbling (even though he still looked very hen-like). All of a sudden his snood grew like crazy, he grew in his caruncles and his head started changing colors. He's all boy now. I was quite shocked (but happy) to say the least.
Needless to say, turkeys are pretty difficult to sex early.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom