1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sexing pekin ducks and duck pairs questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skillswife, Jun 28, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I am trying to decide what ducks to keep what to sell. I have 2 pekins that are about 1 month old how do you sex them? I also have the same age Rouens but they are easy, I have 2 drakes and 3 hens. Is it best to keep them pairs like one male to each female, or would they do fine with say 1 male 2 females etc... I would like to have fertile eggs but don't need fighting between males either, do they do that? Seems like a silly question I guess. Anyhow my big question is how to sex the pekins, i will be keeping both of them but that will influence what sex of Rouens I keep.

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Only thing I can help you with is by telling you sexing my pekins were like sexing any other of our ducks.

Males have a high pitched squeak when I catch them.
    Females have a deep quack.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They will fight over females. The more females per male the better. The voice is the best way to tell them apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by