Sexing Pekin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Three Generation, May 27, 2010.

1. Allen84

Allen84 Hatching

Mar 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    About how old when you can tell by their feathers I have four around 2 and a half month old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ers

2. Allen84

Allen84 Hatching

Mar 24, 2017
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. peepsnquacks

peepsnquacks In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2017
    Citra, Florida
    I am SOOO glad I stumbled on this thread!! I have six 4 1/2 week old Pekins. Only four are Quackers so far, two are still Peepers. One of them I've been calling my "Weird Quacker" cause it sounds SO different from the other ducks. It sounds like a teen boy in puberty, trying to get a grown up voice!! The other three Quackers have a very loud, honking kind of sound, very clear, and very different from the "Weird" one, which I now know is probably a Drake!!! Soooo cool. Can't wait till the other two "find their quack" and I can analyze those.

Right now we also have a pair of nesting Pileated Woodpeckers near the coop. Those things....and their babies...are amazingly loud and annoying, although it is very fun to watch Mama feed the babies. I'm trying to get a good pic with my DLSR camera and telephoto lense, but you have to catch it just right. Then, the donkeys bray a lot in the evenings, depending on what's going on around the property. Point being, sometimes I can hardly hear the quacks from all the dang noise!! Ha!!

Anyways, I'm so happy to have found an answer about my unusual Quacker, and to find out that it looks like I have lots of girls!! Not known for being good sitters, but maybe we can incubate....I'm thinking I will never be able to have "too many" Pekins. xoxoxox

4. Norman89

Norman89 In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm a duck newbie. I have two pekin ducks around 8 weeks old. I'm hoping someone can give me advice on their sex. I'm thinking they are both male. They both sound the same anyway no quacks and when I separate them they are silent! No shouting for each other. Anyway I've added a video- if it works! Looking forward to your responses!

JessiePuddleDuck likes this.
  5. JessiePuddleDuck

JessiePuddleDuck In the Brooder

May 15, 2018
    Essex/Suffolk border, UK
    Hi Norman89! Did you figure out what sex your Pekins are? I'm also a duck newbie and have 2, 7 week old Pekins which are also unsexed but haven't developed a proper quack or full feathers yet, so I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to find out!

6. Vachicklady1975

Vachicklady1975 Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    20190308_131517.jpg

ANightPerson and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Vachicklady1975

Vachicklady1975 Chirping

Mar 1, 2019
    How old do ducks need to be before attempting to figure out sex? I'm guessing fully feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: