Sexing Pekin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Three Generation, May 27, 2010.

1. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Songster

Apr 19, 2016
    Huh. That's really weird. Sorry I'm not much help, maybe someone else knows .... ? It does sound like it must be a female, but the tail has me confused.

Quote:
    If it's loud, it's probably a female, but if it's tail is curly, I'm not really sure ....

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We have two females who developed the drake curl!

Vier got hers shortly after we introduced a drake to the flock. Just last week, Zehn got a curly feather! And they are definitely females.

3. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
  4. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
  5. millers

millers Hatching

Jul 23, 2015
    This duck is in our local shelter. I'm taking him to my two (had 4 and two vanished on Christmas [​IMG]) and can't tell if his tail is curled or not? My male's tale is extremely curly at home. Is this one male or female?[​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Could be the feathers look pretty rough but another way to tell is by voice the females quack loudly and the drakes have a low raspy quack. Bless you for adopting.

7. Miss Lydia

I'd say the goose is Gander after watching the video of how he behaves with the Pekin and lowers his head to make the other ducks move away. Just like my gander does. Are you adopting? Pekin possibly a female couldn't see a curled tail feather.

@bernie131 Does the Pekin have a curl at the end of it's tail feathers? good sign it's a drake and females quack loud drakes have soft raspy quack.

Beautiful goose.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  8. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    They are at the community college and have been for many years. Actually the Pekin has a soft constant quack when I call her name and she is eating. I have not seen a curled feather and one of them are laying eggs but I always seem to miss when that happens. I have not seen her laying on them because either the other critters get them or I took them to see if they were fertilized and they have not been. There are many Mallards that swim with them but the two "mama and shorty" are always together. I don't know if Pekins mate with Mallards??? I go everyday to feed them and Mama gets on my lap when it is cold and I feed her/him and made them a small shelter that I put her in and she tucks her head in her wing and closes her eyes. She lets me pick her up and carry her because they come across the street when they she me pull in the parking lot so I carry them back across the street because of the traffic. I love them so much and neither of them fly,..is that normal for them not to fly??

9. Miss Lydia

They sound absolutely adorable. And I am glad they have you to watch out for them.. Pekins would mate with a Mallard and vise versa if given opportunity but Mama may not allow it. lol Most domestic Ducks and geese cannot fly or if they can they don't fly high or very far. And Pekins being a heavy weight duck doesn't fly at all.

That is just so special the relationship you have with them.

10. ANightPerson

ANightPerson Songster

Oct 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Yes. The Drake's get a curl on the end of their tail. This is known as the sex feather. It should be very obvious. You can look at pictures of drakes next to hens and see the tail difference. It shows up around sexual maturity. My drake got it at around 80-100 days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: