Sexing pekins

LT71689

Songster
Jul 5, 2020
Canada
So, Triscuit and Melba.

8 weeks old. Triscuit has always been bigger, grew faster, voice changed first, feathers came in first, etc. Melba has always been more noisy, more chatty, would be the first to scream for me when they were a little baby and they wanted my attention. Triscuit's voice changed into honks and a deep chesty noise, Melba went from peeps to a more high musical chatter and squeal (they're very noisy while preening and make funny squeals into their chest)

When people said that drakes are "raspy" and quiet I thought Triscuit was a boy because the noise they make IS more raspy, than Melba's, and they used to be quieter/less chatty than Melba, only chiming in after Melba got it started.

But then I found this video
at 2:05 she picks up a male that sounds like he's lost his voice - if THAT is what "raspy" means then neither Triscuit nor Melba make THAT noise.

But Melba doesn't honk like Triscuit, and only screeches when they're really in distress, otherwise its chatty and squealy.

So, do I have two different sounding girls or is Melba actually a littler drake that hasn't developed his full strep-throat-rasp yet?

Unfortunately these arent amazing videos but they might work. Triscuit is the bigger honky one, Melba still has the fluffies on the end of their tail.

Both sound female to me. The first vid made me go “Awwwwww”
they thought they were getting a second round of treats 🙄 🤷‍♀️

Is it typical for females to not develop that honk that only Triscuit does? and to have different pitches? Triscuit is definitely a deeper/more baritone pitch when they're just chattering/making that chesty noise

they thought they were getting a second round of treats 🙄 🤷‍♀️

Is it typical for females to not develop that honk that only Triscuit does? and to have different pitches? Triscuit is definitely a deeper/more baritone pitch when they're just chattering/making that chesty noise
My female make that sound, usually out of what I interpret as disappointment, in the AM when I’m herding her outside.

Back
Top Bottom