Sexing Polish Cresteds?

sophiejw

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
I've got two lovely Polish Cresteds- they are 14 weeks old. I just wondered if anyone had any tips for sexing them- they both have very red wattles and scraggy hair do's. I've also seen them squaring up to each other a few times recently, so I suspect they might both be boys. Will try and get pics on tomorrow, if anyone has any tips in the meantime that would be great.

They are lovely and friendly, one jumps on my shoulder whenever I bend down to sort their food things out. Does anyone know if Polish cockerels are noisy? If they're not I could get away with keeping them, if not I'll have to rehome them- they are too nice to eat!

I am pretty sure pullets and hens have a nice, round crest while the males are kind of everywhere.
Here's my pullet.
62239_chooks_on_10210_018.jpg

62239_313.jpg

See how her crest is very round? If they are not like that, they are boys. Hope I helped!

Last edited:
with mine I notice waddles on the boys and they come in fast and the girls dont really get them till later. The rounded head thing too.girl,boy,boy,girl
52168_101_7911.jpg
52168_101_7716.jpg
52168_img00092-20100801-1627.jpg
52168_img00052-20100722-1411.jpg

Quote:

Last edited:
Look like roo's to me!

The feathers on a roo's crest are long and pointy looking, like the hackle feathers on his neck. The hen's crest feathers and neck feathers are much blunter, and more rounded on the ends.

Somebody said that the shape of the crest on a day-old chick is different, too. Pullet chick poofles are round, cockerel chick hairdos are oval. Using that rule of thumb, I guessed that 3 of the 4 Polish chicks that I hatched in early June were boys. Now I can say with certainty, I was right!

My suspected roos have a much smaller waddle and not as red, their head feather are not as pointy either though I'm sure they are boys, yours are 100% roosters.

Doh!
he.gif
Isn't that typical that my favourite ones are the ones that can't stay. Got them as an extra when my friend ordered more eggs than she could incubate so I got a few and these guys hatched. Kind of got attached to them as they are so friendly.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions, time to try to rehome them then. I managed to rehome my silkie boy last week, so fingers crossed someone wants these....

Back
Top Bottom