Sexing poults

alan anderson

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Any tips on how to sex young turkeys? I've bought 2 sets of babies15 & 14,all off 1 tom and 9 hens.The 15 were 4 weeks old this past Sunday,the 14 were 1 week old this past Saturday.Gave $5.00 each for them.Is that a good price?
I can use my turkey call and 3 of the 15 will gobble and try to strut,cutest thing you ever seen.For sure Toms yes or no?
How old do they need to be to put down on the ground? The 15 are in a 4 x 8 brooder I made years ago.1 " wire on sides,rabbit wire bottom,covered with a tarp if weather is bad.I will add pics when I get a chance.

I noticed another thread about using a jake call to tell the difference in sexes.According to that there are 3 males and 12 females in the oldest group.The youngest group must all be female,they run under the heated area and hide.They're 11 days old.

What's the best tom to hen ratio?

I have two five week olds and it is very obvious one is a Tom and one is a hen. I had my suspicions when I got them at a few days old just by size, but now the suspected Tom struts and fans out what tail feathers he has. Pretty funny. I've heard others say it's too early to tell but I will be shocked if I'm wrong. I'd be interested to hear how your theory turns out in the end. Let us know!

1st 15 babies 5 weeks old and in their new pen.50 inches wide by 16 feet long by 3 feet high.Made from 3 cattle panels.How long do they need the 30% turkey starter?

The 14 younger babies in the "baby brooder"it's small maybe 18"X36" solid wood crate.40 watt bulb keeps it at 85-90 degrees.They rarely get under the light.

Now in the 4 x 8 brooder.There's 3 weeks difference in their ages.29 total,hope I get 12 females.

Back
Top Bottom