Sexing question

BarkerChickens

Microbrewing Chickenologist
12 Years
Nov 25, 2007
High Desert, CA
I have had a number of chickens over the years and never had much problem sexing them, but I have two that are confusing me. I bought 5 pullets from the feed store about 4-5 weeks ago. The barred rock is definitely a little boy (red comb and wattles starting the bud, plus he is light colored...I should have known when I grabbed him, but didn't think about it since they "pullets"). The leghorn and one of the RIRs are definitely girls. That leaves a delaware and RIR#2. Both have tiny yellow combs and with pink wattles.
hmm.png
I'm guessing boys, but the yellow comb is throwing me off. Figured I'd get some opinions on this from y'all!

Any thoughts? I'm irritated that my 5 pullets are seeming to be 60% male. I called the feed store and they swear they were sexed. She also asked "is it crowing?". Uhhh...it's 4 or 5 weeks old, so no (I've only heard of rare cases of a chick crowing earlier than 8 or 9 weeks old). Then she told me that ALL her pullets turned pink/red at that age.
th.gif
I really wanted to ask her if she has ever owned chickens.

From what you say, sounds like pullets. Pictures would really help. Most shots of the head so we can see the comb and wattles, and a side shot of whole body.

Back
Top Bottom