Sexing question

bcmama

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Do female silkies have combs and wattles? I have a 19 week old buff silkie that is starting to get a little comb and small wattles. I understand silkies mature slower than others and you don't know what you have until they either crow or lay an egg, but my other silkie (same age) doesn't have anything, but she is also maturing at a slower rate. My BR hens have combs and wattles but my EE only have little combs and no wattles so I didn't know what characteristics female silkies have.

Just checking

Okay so I took pics of both silkies. They are both 19 weeks. The black one, Peeps, was the very runt of all runts. She has taken much longer to develop than the others.

The buff colored silkie is the one I am really wondering about. It was a little gray out today. Hope you can see everything. She did not want me to take her picture and was very worried about my purple and pink phone getting near her. Hahaha Hope you can see enough.

This is our black silkie. We think also a hen but one never knows? She has a little comb but no wattles. She likes to be held, likes might be strong, tolerate might be better. No problem taking her picture.

The little smushey thing above his nose is the key for me. It is just a bit bigger and wrinkley on a silkey roo. Some of my silkey roos got to stick around for awhile as they are lower on the pecking order.

So silkie hens do not have combs or wattles? That was my original question. As my BR and EE hens do have combs with the BR"s also have quite large wattles silkies hens should not?

[And the buff look roostery by his stance, darker shade, and the feathering in the saddle and hackle areas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom