Sexing Questions

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
I think I know some of them, but would like a second opinion so any guesses will be appreciated. I am putting some just for kicks since they are too young yet.

3 mo. olds first:

Black Frizzled Silkie (Pullet?)

IMG_1430.jpg

Blue Pullet

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Lighter Blue Pullet:

IMG_1374.jpg

Lt. Blue or Splash? frizzled roo:

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

Splash Pullet:

IMG_1366.jpg

Another Splash Pullet (sold)

IMG_1358.jpg

Blue Roo:

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Now the younger ones:

8 wk old Blue Bantam Cochin (male or female?)

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

8 wk. old Black Bantam Cochin pullet?:

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

8 wk old Black Bantam Cochin (male or female?)

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

8 wk old Splash Bantam Frizzled Cochin (male or female?)

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

8 wk old Bantam Salmon Faverolle Pullet:

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

8 wk old Blue Silkie roo?

IMG_1365.jpg

6 wk old Bantam Barred Rocks (one male and two female??)

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

3 week olds are next:

Bantam Faverolle (male or female?)

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Cochins:

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

Buff Silkie:

IMG_1379.jpg

And some group pics showing the babies. the Seramas are hard to get pics of but they are in some of these group pics. They are also 3 weeks.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

I probably did not get everyone, but maybe they don't have computer access, ha ha.
Hope I did not overload anyones computer or crash it. I just thought I would try to get some new pics up. Some of the roos will be leaving just as soon as I can get new homes for them. But the longer they stay, the more I want to keep them. Some are nicer than the roos I have. But I would have to wait on them to mature before I could sell the others. Anyway, hope you enjoy and hope this works.

Marie

How did you get your chickens so tame ? I saw the pics of the chicken on the girl's shoulder, and one on the arm ... how did you get it that tame ?

We're getting our first peeps in June - I want our peeps to turn out very tame as well. Especially since we have a 4yr old daughter who just loves all the animals
big_smile.png
So just lots of handling ? Or what's the trick ?

Yes lots of handling from the time they hatch does help. But honestly, that is a cochin and it kind of surprised me when it jumped onto "my" arm while I was taking pics. It did it several times and then onto my shoulder where it tried to peck my earing and my freckles and almost my eye. They are very docile birds from what I understand. These are the first for me. But most of my birds are rather tame because I do spend a lot of time with them. Good luck with your new babies. Can't wait to see pics.

Marie

I would guess the banty barred rocks are 2 pullets & 1 cockrel, due to the feathering & comb. At six weeks my barred rock was almost completely feathered out but did not have as large a comb as yours. It may be because she's standard and yours are brahma.

General rule of thumb I have heard is that roos get their combs quicker, while pullets feather quicker.

Last edited:
i'm on dial up so i have to wait for alot of pics,lol. from what i saw to the salmon favs. silkies- not sure on 1st one the rest i think ya got right sexes. the cochins all look like roos to me with the exception of the 8 week old black one i think it's a pullet.

salmon pullet is a pullet. next silkie is an iffy but i think girl i don't see much of a comb. barred rock chicks definately 1 roo in there not sure other 2 i go by shadows on the legs, those r girls.

salmon chick is a roo, cochin chick is a roo. the others can't tell from the pics. lots of cuties!!
hope that helps,
silkie

Thanks silkie. I am so hoping that salmon baby is a roo. I need a roo for mey salmon girls. I think I am pretty sure on most of the silkies but the frizzled one at the top has me puzzled too. It is pretty good size compared to my pullets but has the stature and everything of a pullet. No comb either. So I am hoping a pullet. Lord knows I have enough roos around here. If all those cochins are roos, I will just die. What are the odds, you know. I do have some babies too so maybe a few of them will be pullets. I know two already have pink in the combs and they are 3 wks old. Boy this has been a roo year. Hopefully I wont get all roos from the 3 buff bantam ameraucana eggs I just put in the hatcher or the 4 remaining blue bantam orpington eggs in the bator. That will stink. I have noticed something you can't really tell in the pics though, that some of the cochins have red combs but much lighter than the one black one that is very red. So I am holding out hope. behrable says that cochins tend to redden up pretty early, I don't know. Will have to wait and see a bit I guess. No pointed feathers are obvious yet. Thanks for the help and I welcome any further guesses or info.

Marie

crossing my fingers for ur boy salmon!!

those cochins r siblings to mine and mine if i remember right are a few days or a few weeks old then ur's. i have the older roos about 3 weeks older than all them too.

they all showed early the pink so i'm possative i'm right on those. my girls combs r normal color same as they were at hatch and still small. if i'd of seen this quicker i'd of taken pics of them again in pairs side by side. they r in the grow out pen now over with the adults and it is pouring rain here for days now and to be all week too. mine started to show they were boys at about 3-4 weeks, pink combs and waddles and doing that chest dance in each others faces,lol. i was shocked so early!! i have more boys than girls also.
silkie

Back
Top Bottom