Sexing Rouen Ducks--6 weeks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by my sunwolf, May 8, 2013.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

My guess? they are precious :)

2. Cwood13

Cwood13 Hatching

Aug 1, 2018
    IMAG0157.jpg I'm new to ducks and this is the first time I'm raising them. I have six. They are five months old and have gotten one egg a day for the last six days. So, I can assume I only have one female but I'm not sure. I need help identifying them. Here is a picture of them.

Squiggs and chickens really like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Look like Hens to me. They don't all begin to lay at the same time...

CayugaJana and Squiggs like this.
  4. Cwood13

Cwood13 Hatching

Aug 1, 2018
    The one in the right front has a white ring around it's neck and long white feathers showing in the back. I did notice that five of them have blue feathers and one does not. I really don't know how to tell the difference between them other than what I've read.

Squiggs likes this.
  5. Squiggs

Squiggs Chirping

Jul 11, 2018
    Colorado
    My family has 2 year old a Rouen hen with a partial neck ring too :) She had them confused for months!

I'm going to guess they are all hens except for the one on the far left with his face turned. I think that duck may be a drake based on the dark unbroken black stripe on his head, the sort of dusty less penciled look of his feathers overall, and what appears to be a more greenish bill. However, it's not always a perfect indicator since the hen I mentioned also had a dark stripe when she was young.

chickens really likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely by this age of 5 months the Drake would have a green head and Drake feathers in its tail. Non have the stance of a Drake either..

7. Squiggs

Squiggs Chirping

Jul 11, 2018
    Colorado
    Oops! I didn't even notice she mentioned their ages...:oops:

Yes, at 5 months this is what the familys' Rouen looked like. Very different indeed!

IMG_3719.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  8. Cwood13

Cwood13 Hatching

Aug 1, 2018
    Here's a couple more pics. A little closer look. IMAG0159.jpg IMAG0160.jpg

9. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    Lovely duck family! Do they all quack loudly? I have 1 Rouen hen (and two Muscovies) and her quack could raise the dead!

10. Cwood13

Cwood13 Hatching

Aug 1, 2018
    No, not really. Some of them are kinda quiet and others are loud. Not sure if it's normal but some of them do this weird quacking thing while they bob their heads in a cross cross manner. But they always seem to know when I'm outside even if they don't see me. Then they really start quacking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: