Sexing Rouen Ducks--6 weeks

Hi. I realise this is an old thread, but I thought I'd ask on it. I have a Rouen/Pekin cross ducking. It's about 6 weeks old and is getting female Rouen looking feathers (bronze/black - mumma is definitely a Pekin though). No quacks yet, but loud squawks when being demanding.

When ducky is wet I can see green peeking through on head under the fluff, and also on the back above the tail. Do they all start this way, or have I got a little man? Thanks.
FB_IMG_1608603699809.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. I realise this is an old thread, but I thought I'd ask on it. I have a Rouen/Pekin cross ducking. It's about 6 weeks old and is getting female Rouen looking feathers (bronze/black specks). No quacks yet, but loud squawks when being demanding.

When ducky is wet I can see green peeking through on head under the fluff, and also on the back above the tail. Do they all start this way, or have I got a little man? Thanks.

I haven’t had Rouen ducklings since April, so I can’t really recall if the females ever had green on them, but my males didn’t change to male colours until they had all of their feathers, and then a bit after that. At about 2 months and 1 week there were the first signs of green, first right around the bill and on the bottom of their necks. Also a white spot on the males lower neck.

I haven’t had Rouen ducklings since April, so I can’t really recall if the females ever had green on them, but my males didn’t change to male colours until they had all of their feathers, and then a bit after that. At about 2 months and 1 week there were the first signs of green, first right around the bill and on the bottom of their necks. Also a white spot on the males lower neck.
Thanks. Edited post and added photo.

I have 3 Rouens ducks and color wise I don't agree with the green head meaning its a girl or boy as all 3 of mine have it and I had them sexed from a hatchery 2 girls and a boy. I'll try to get a pic to post but its hard. For their colors you can't start noticing the boys from girls until 9 weeks when they start to molt into their adult feathers. The boys will start to get white all over his wings first and then I'm not sure as I'm not that far yet lol. However one if my girls started to turn white too but only the very tips and I voice sexed them and indeed I only have one male. I find if you pick them up and hold them there they will start to make quacks and what not when they are ready to get down. That's what I did to get a few of my boys to quack for me and it does work. You should come join the Rouen thread. Congrats on your babies! They are cute.
I just did a post that said DUCK LOOKS SICK
I had what I thought was two females. One is twice the size as the other. When looking at photos of Rouens they both looked to be female. The large one has a raspy voice, like it is hoarse or something. Now I noticed that its feathering is getting lighter and losing that dark brown color. I bought them in May so they are not that old.
Is the large one sick or is it a male and changing feather coloring? When do the males turn their feathers?

Sorry all, I meant to come back to this thread! The method was absolutely 100% correct, there were 5 drakes and 1 duck, as you can see in the photo below:

I ended up keeping the drake in the center with the greenest head.
How old were they when they started to develop a ring around their neck? I have one I'm not sure about. I thought it was female but it's quieter. Not necessarily like a drake. But just a quiet honk maybe

Back
Top Bottom