Sexing runner by voice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by columbiacritter, Jun 1, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have 3 runner duckings that will be 5 wks old on Friday. One of them has always been bigger than the others and has stopped peeping like the others. Not quacking but a deeper almost mini goose honk sound. Drake?

She/he is the white one in the middle. Also is supposed to be white and tan, but is showing no sign of anything but white feathers. I can deal with her being a him, but I really didn't want an all white duck.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    HHMM..The voise as you describe does make me tend towards saying female..But I can see a green tinge to the beak too- which could indicate male.. As far as the colour goes...dont give up yet- once they start molting more colour can show up in the feathers that regrow.
  3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 6 4 week old runners as of yesterday. I have 1 that is trying to quack and nothing from the others yet. Mine are fawn color. So are they've gone from yellow, to white and now the brown is coming in. I did vent sex them last week. I think I have 5 female and 1 male. I found how to do it on the internet. I hope I'm right! I'm still waiting for the quacks but get peeping.

All of mine were suppose to be 2 days old when I bought them. At this age they are all different sizes. Two of them are really big. All there bills are pretty yellow.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I could vent sex, but it wouldn't make much difference at this point. Just have to wait and listen and hope for quacks!
  5. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    I have 10 runners and I cant tell...........They are 4 weeks old At first I throught I had 4 males and the rest are females 4 of them do this raspy thing and the rest just peep. I hope it four males and the rest are girls! I guess it does not really matther I am keeping them all..... I just rehomed my pekins so I could keep them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by