Sexing Runner Ducklings

ChampionAlex

Songster
7 Years
May 22, 2012
CT
Hello anyone on here have any advice on sexing runner ducklings besides the fact of getting them sexed by an expert? Any other clues that might determine males from females? I have a fair amount born and I want to try n give my best judgement on which might be males from females. Thanks !

Quack...Only females make typical quack sounds. Male's or either almost silent or very whispery quack. How old are they? Voices start changing around 7 weeks although my runners were bout 10 weeks before I heard definite quacking. With multiple ducks you'll be able to tell fairly easily once they start quacking which is which. The male's, called drakes, will get a feather on top part of tail but not for awhile. They will be fully grown by time they get Drake feather.

Quack...Only females make typical quack sounds. Male's or either almost silent or very whispery quack. How old are they? Voices start changing around 7 weeks although my runners were bout 10 weeks before I heard definite quacking. With multiple ducks you'll be able to tell fairly easily once they start quacking which is which. The male's, called drakes, will get a feather on top part of tail but not for awhile. They will be fully grown by time they get Drake feather.
Yes I do know that about when they are older. Im selling mine at the moment and they arent even a week old. I want to sell them before they are two weeks and want to try n identify them as early as possible I know it wont be 80 % accurate but 60 % is better than nothing lol

At a young age the most sure-fire way of sexing ducklings is vent sexing. It takes a little bit of practice, but it's not too difficult!
This is a good video:

The two other ways are voice sexing and tail sexing, for both of these you have wait it till they've grown up a bit (when they're fully feathered, or even a bit after.)

Voice Sexing - males will make a hoarse sound while females will make a more traditional honk

Tail sexing - Males will have a couple curly tail feathers while females won't.

Hope this helped, good luck!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom