Sexing Silkies!! PICS.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Suburban Sprouts, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have three silkies... about 10 weeks old. One has completely "bloomed" and looks lovely but the other two look pretty awkward... Anyway, any guesses on genders and/or whether or not the other two will "bloom" as well?

#1 - White Silkie aka "Marie Antoinette"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 - Buff Silkie aka "Sally"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 - Blue Silkie aka "Gilda Radner" (YIKES, this is the most scraggley looking one...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I can't tell, I think its too early. I am wondering though, after following so many sex my silkie threads, if males and females developed at different rates. I will be interested in what others have to say..

3. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, I know that silkies can be tough and they need more time to "grow into their gender" but even if no one wants to guess the genders, I would LOVE confirmation that the buff and blue silkies are okay... Especially the blue. She looks terrible and has looked like that for several weeks, even before she moved outside. I just hope it's normal for some to look scraggley like that for a bit. These are my frist silkies.

4. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Silkie experts? Want to weigh in?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The white is a pullet, and the other two *might* both be cockerels.

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The white is looking pretty good. I think it's a pullet (looking at the second picture). She could use more foot feathering, but she is still young. Some just mature slower than the others. You could boost their protein intake with scrambled eggs.

7. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I am no expert at all but it looks like all 3 may be little roos.
    Silkies do go thru a really ugly stage and they can just look really bad! Lol!
    They are like the ugly duckling story.
    Just feed them really good stuff and you will be amazed how much they will change.
    But only time will tell with silkies. If you got to see the parents that might tell you a little about what yours might look like.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Is the first and second picture of the same bird? It's looks a little rooish in the first pic, but looks like a pullet in the second pic. [​IMG] They are constantly changing. And............ it's an agonizing wait!

9. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Okay, I'll give a go.....#1 female, #2 roo, #3 roo.

10. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, the first two pics are the same little silkie...

If all three are roos... [​IMG]

Ok, I feel better about the "ugly" stage but I sure am hoping for girls! I'll try again with pics in another four weeks or so I guess...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by