Sexing silkies

Bigandlittles

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Nov 13, 2022
Cut Off Louisiana
Holding a chick by the head and letting their feet dangle for a second. Can someone tell me if this is a real way of sexing your chicks. My neighbor said this is how the older generation does it but I have never heard of such a thing. Any insight from y’all experts would help. I am trying to sex my silkies.

Holding a chick by the head and letting their feet dangle for a second. Can someone tell me if this is a real way of sexing your chicks. My neighbor said this is how the older generation does it but I have never heard of such a thing. Any insight from y’all experts would help. I am trying to sex my silkies.
Hogwash. Just wait or send in feather tests to ibird.

I though it was absolute crazy too so I looked it up on byc and others have asked about it and swear by this method but it seems a little mean if you ask me.

Someone who's experienced can make a prediction based on chick behavior, and one of those behaviors is whether or not the chick lets it's feet dangle. You may make your own predictions using this method but don't expect it to be set in stone, and I would highly recommend analyzing other behaviors as well to make your prediction.

Back
Top Bottom