Sexing Silkies

Pnw-Chicken

Hatching
Jun 12, 2023
I know it is super tough for silkies, but does anyone see any streamers or other markings to say one way or the other on these 5?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8934.jpeg
    IMG_8934.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8930.jpeg
    IMG_8930.jpeg
    563.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8924.jpeg
    IMG_8924.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8920.jpeg
    IMG_8920.jpeg
    698.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8918.jpeg
    IMG_8918.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 30
I think it goes:
Boy
Girl
Boy
Girl
Boy

However, I’m new to silkies, mine are only 10 and 7 weeks so don’t take my word for it 😁.

Hello!

It’s very hard to tell, but I think you have at least three pullets, possibly four, and one cockerel, possibly two.

I’m not really sure about the first one, but I think that the middle three pictures are pullets and the last one is a cockerel. Silkies are very hard to sex though, as you’ve already pointed out, and they do still seem too young for me to be completely sure, so I wouldn’t count on it yet. Maybe update in a couple/few weeks with new pictures and see if you can get a better idea…

The males should look bigger than the females at this age as well, so using size to compare can help you identify their genders too, especially if they’re all from the same place or bloodline

Oh no. We can’t keep the boys so we’re obv. hoping for as many girls as possible.
I understand. If they are 7 weeks, I would definitely say the last one looks like a male, that’s a lot of comb for a young silkie.

The rest I could definitely be wrong on I was basing my opinion by comparing the pics of my little cockerel at that age to the pics of yours.

Hello!

It’s very hard to tell, but I think you have at least three pullets, possibly four, and one cockerel, possibly two.

I’m not really sure about the first one, but I think that the middle three pictures are pullets and the last one is a cockerel. Silkies are very hard to sex though, as you’ve already pointed out, and they do still seem too young for me to be completely sure, so I wouldn’t count on it yet. Maybe update in a couple/few weeks with new pictures and see if you can get a better idea…

The males should look bigger than the females at this age as well, so using size to compare can help you identify their genders too, especially if they’re all from the same place or bloodline
Can I ask, does “red leakage” pointing towards male count for silkies? I guessed 1 and 3 were male cause it looks to me like potential red patches over the wings.

Can I ask, does “red leakage” pointing towards male count for silkies? I guessed 1 and 3 were male cause it looks to me like potential red patches over the wings.
I don’t really see it in the first picture, but I think it’s probably just the lighting in the third one.

I’ve never really heard of color leakage in the feathers very much. How does that work? Does it help to sex chickens?

Back
Top Bottom