Sexing Silver Button Qauils??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bryam, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Hello'
    I have 5 silver button Qauils and they all have bibs, does that mean they are all males? I was reading on the Internet and some websites say even females have bibs. I am so confused!! Help!!!

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Picture please. There are too many color phases of button quail tp answer any color questions without them. New color phases develop by the day in buttons so very little is cut and dry regarding their color.

3. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Here are some pictures of my quails. The first are of my silvers, then I have a dark brown one with no beard, but some red feathers on its tail, so is that a boy or a girl!

Thanks!

Advice is most helpful!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  4. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    The first pic is a male. The second one i cant tell. It looks like it has a bib but at the same time it doesn't so that one is a bit confusing. The third and forth pic is a female and the last is a male. You'll need more females or there will be fights

6. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Thanks! Yes, the quail in the second pictures has a bib! I was very confused about the quail in the third and fourth pic, as it has some brownish /burgundy feathers on its tail, but it has no bib, so it is a female, okay!

Great!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    So if a silver button quail has an actual two lined bib it is a male, they will not necessarily have red feathers on its tail, right?

8. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Some silvers dont have rust vent feathers while others do. I have seen males with the red and males without it.

9. Bryam

Aug 19, 2008
    Okay, I think I got it! So if a silver button quail has a full two lined beard, like the qauil in my last picture, it is definitely a male? I have one silver that has a very thinly lined beard, I guess it is still a male then?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  10. GuineaFowling

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Though I have never had a female button with a bib some people have. You'll just have to wait and see if the one with a think bib lays an egg or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by