Sexing the Brahma breed, (standard size, Light Brahma)

Pics
The comb is more flattish, I read Brahmas have a pea comb and her looks exactly like a pea comb, but she is 2 days old now.
I am thinking of visiting the farm that gave me the eggs and taking pictures of the parents.

as an aside, this is my dark brahma as a chick. I don't remember her having chipmunk stripes.

Attachments

• Darkie.jpeg
    Darkie.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 27
@Frazzemrat1 can't Brahmas be wing sexed at day 1? I am sure she is a she as she has one long, one short feather on the wings. When is the earliest they can be sexed?

No, brahmas can't be wing sexed. Pure bred chickens can't. Its completely unreliable, and people that do it are, on average, right 50% of the time. The only way to wing sex is to cross a fast feathering chicken with a slow feathering chicken... not sure which parent is which...

Just an update of pictures. They are now 8.5 weeks. The bottom picture of my definite rooster at 7.5 weeks and is more for comparison for the one still in question. I’ve already started the process of integrating him in with my older girls. He roosts with them at night and has his dog kennel in their run during the day. He was just getting too big and rowdy for the grow out pen. The other one may still need a few more weeks to tell for sure as the wattles can get a little pink but don’t stay pink all the time. She/he is big in size but acts more like a pullet to me so I’m not convinced either way yet.

Attachments

• 08CC7BDE-C8B4-46A3-B628-E8E2ADAB6AFB.jpeg
    08CC7BDE-C8B4-46A3-B628-E8E2ADAB6AFB.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 755B45AB-8E78-4BBA-AEFF-BE006FFAF064.jpeg
    755B45AB-8E78-4BBA-AEFF-BE006FFAF064.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 29
  • 1A03D785-27D6-46A7-B842-F15970476B6F.jpeg
    1A03D785-27D6-46A7-B842-F15970476B6F.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5020B9A9-0E69-4573-BB44-527D0E421C69.jpeg
    5020B9A9-0E69-4573-BB44-527D0E421C69.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 30
Just an update of pictures. They are now 8.5 weeks. The bottom picture of my definite rooster at 7.5 weeks and is more for comparison for the one still in question. I’ve already started the process of integrating him in with my older girls. He roosts with them at night and has his dog kennel in their run during the day. He was just getting too big and rowdy for the grow out pen. The other one may still need a few more weeks to tell for sure as the wattles can get a little pink but don’t stay pink all the time. She/he is big in size but acts more like a pullet to me so I’m not convinced either way yet.

Interesting. It looks like a rose comb, not a pea comb. So this one may be a cross, or is this multiple birds? I'm not sure I like how wide the comb is already, but there's not much color. For gender, I'd give it a couple more weeks, given how slow to develop brahmas are, especially if you already have a dominant one that's popping comb already.

And I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but where did you get them? That rose comb puzzles me.

Yes, she has the wrong comb and it has puzzled me too. I don’t know enough about the breed or the genetics behind it to know how that would even be possible. She looks every bit like a light Brahma except the comb. Both of these were TSC chicks from Hoover.

Back
Top Bottom