Sexing these silkies, showgirl, and frizzle?

LeggoMyMeggo

Chirping
Feb 9, 2019
Central Oklahoma
Hi, new to silkies here. We got some amazing fertile eggs and hatched a batch. I am not even certain on breeds on a few of these and definitely not on gender. I have ideas on some of them but want your opinion. Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG_20200420_014513.jpg

IMG_20200420_014606.jpg

I think 1 is a frizzle silkie, 2 looks like a silkie but could be crossed by something like a naked neck. 3,4 + 5 are definitely all silkies. (4 is a partridge) 6 sortove looks like a polish because of the hat. 7 looks like a silkie and i’m not sure on 8?

I would say that 3 and 4 are definitely both hens though not sure on the rest. Silkies and fluffy breeds like that can be very difficult to tell until they either lay or crow. I’ve had silkies in the past that i’m sure are hens and turn out cockerels and vice verser.

These are a mix of both silkies and satins. Number 1 is not a frizzled Silkie. It is a frizzled satin. Satins can have frizzled and smooth feathers. 5, 6 and 8 are smooth feathered satins. 2 is a showgirl Silkie. The rest are silkies. The only cockerel I suspect is number 5. The rest look like girls to me. Lucky you. Pretty birds. I have satins and silkies myself.

Last edited:
I know what silkies, frizzles, showgirls and satins are but what is the difference between a frizzled silkie, a frizzled satin and sizzles? I thought I should ask here before I ask Dr. Seuss lol

A frizzled Silkie has Silkie feathers. A frizzled satin has satin feathers. Here is a picture of the different feathering types. The upper left is a frizzled Silkie.

a frizzled satin is the same thing as a sizzle. Satin is the more proper term. ;)

Attachments

• 2039ABB0-D8E3-47D9-8A61-63B4517487B9.jpeg
    2039ABB0-D8E3-47D9-8A61-63B4517487B9.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom