Krose93

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2024
Hey there,
We just picked up a 7 week old silkie. I am aware of the breeds propensity for hiding their gender until the last possible moment. However, I am worried our little one is showing roo tendencies (loud, standing tall, seems to have streaking top feathers) and we cannot have Roos here. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4069.jpeg
    IMG_4069.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 17
Looks like a roo to me. Their foofs on the top of their heads will be a bit smaller and not so much in their eyes and they will stand tall like you said, where as the hens will slouch. All my silkie boys were louder as well. You could probably sell him though🐔.

He looks like a cockerel as in appearance and behavior. I would keep him until he's old enough to be on his own (and when it's 100% that he is a rooster) before rehoming him. For now, you can start reaching out to people to have a home already lined up for him before he starts crowing.

The soonest I've known what sex my silkies were was about 4-months old when the roosters start crowing. At 5 months, I am pretty positive what they all are though. Sure I guessed at that age, and 50% of the time I was right! ☺️

They sure are cute though!

Back
Top Bottom