Sexing Turkens and EE's? *Pic heavy*

Quote:
I agree -- Your 8 week old EEs are definitely pullets and I also have no experience with Turkens.

As for the 4 week old EEs - most likely, the 2 brown ones are pullets, but you should post their pics again in a few weeks. The lighter colored one looks like it may be a cockerel due to the reddish brown coloring on the wing bows, but once again - it's bit early to be sure.

I am really hoping that I get at least two Turken hens! I'm glad you think both EE's are pullets. I can see the younger light one turing out to be a roo. I can just imagine how beautiful he'll be!

Turkens, or Naked Neck as the breed is called, are sometimes tricky to sex. I would say the big buff near the feeder is a boy, maybe both if the pictures show different chicks. By 7 weeks the cockerels will be standing taller than the pullets, be heavier and probably starting to crow. My first roo crowed around 4 weeks and had a prominent red comb and wattles. Generally NN roo's are big boys, and their necks will flush deep red with ever visit of the "hormone fairy". What makes it tricky, in the next 4 weeks the girls faces and necks will flush then fade w/o rhyme or reason, and they may grow as big as the boys stopping at 12 wks as the boys keep growing. My Annie Green Legs matched Oakley until just a few weeks before she started laying. The only reason I wasn't sure she was a boy was no crow. Your black NN are probably pullets. For more definite response post pics on the Turken/Naked Neck thread. Lots of experience there and beautiful birds. I just love Nava's splash pullet.

Quote:
I will be listening for crowing but none yet... I did notice that some (and I don't remember which right now) had deeper "voices" than others. Could that be a sign they are roo also? I plan on keeping all the hens and at least one roo, so I'm hoping that I have 4 hens and a roo. Then no culling needed!

Back
Top Bottom