Sexing turkey chicks ?

kyron4

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
It's almost "chick days" time at the farm store and my daughter is really hoping to get a male broad breasted bronze turkey this year. Last year we got two females, since they are straight run. Any tips on sexing them ? I've been told males have a more squared head and females more rounded, is this true ? They kind of all look the same. Is there a way to vent check them ? Snood check ? -Thanks

I have also read the head thing. However, I have been told that vent sexing is the best way to know. This takes a lot of practice to get right, but your vet should be able to do it if you would like to go that route. Watching videos and reading about vent checking is a good way to start. I myself have been working on learning for a few months now but it proves very difficult! (that could also just be me though, who knows haha)

Since BBB are meant to be meat birds it doesn't matter much, they still dress out enormous by Thanksgiving.
If your looking for pets, they have to be starved and the Tom's breasts still usually get in the way for breeding.
Heritage make great pets
As far as sexing as 3 day old poults, good luck. So far I have not had any luck with ones I got sexed. Was supposed to be 2pairs and all 4 were jakes

When I first bought my turkeys I couldn’t tell if I had males or females. when I brought them home, one of my pullets puffed up at another pullet, so I tagged that one and sure enough at 2 months he shown signs of a male. He start puffing up very early on. Now his 50lbs and NO his not for thanksgiving.. I ended up keeping him and one female, but the rest were for meat.
Pullets are female chickens prior to being one year old.

Poults are young turkeys. Yes, precocious poults can display. I believe that the ones that display at an early age are usually males but I am aware of other members that have poults that displayed at an early age turn out to be hens. @OneMountainAcres can confirm that one of her hens displayed at a very early age.

Pullets are female chickens prior to being one year old.

Poults are young turkeys. Yes, precocious poults can display. I believe that the ones that display at an early age are usually males but I am aware of other members that have poults that displayed at an early age turn out to be hens. @OneMountainAcres can confirm that one of her hens displayed at a very early age.

Yes absolutely! My one hen, Princess, strutted a lot when she was a baby.... starting on day 1 actually! Pebbles strutted a lot when she was young also.

Back
Top Bottom