Sexing two silver double laced barnevelders

PNW keeper

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
I recently got some day old chicks, some breeds unsexed. At 2 weeks, I know it’s too early to definitively sex my Silver Double Laced Barnevelders, but want to know what to look for as they age. I’ve read some things about Barnevelders, but not certain that applies to my SDLB breed. I understand it may be 12-16 weeks before I really know.

They are approximately the same size, but noticing their feathering is coming in at slightly different paces and wonder if there is truly a sex difference there. I’ve read mixed things about these “clues” so thought I’d ask here.

Chick 1
Tail is more pronounced/full, shoulder feathering is coming in.
IMG_2143 copy.jpg

Chick 2
Tail is minimal (today was when I first noticed it coming in), and shoulder feathering is not visible yet.
IMG_2140 2 copy.jpg

Side by side
IMG_2134 copy.jpg

You really can’t sex Double Silver Laced Barnevelders until they are mostly or fully feathered. Their feather pattern is actually the biggest giveaway of their genders, as females will be fully double silver laced and males will have a solid black breast, mostly white hackles and saddles, and possibly a bit of that double silver lacing on their wing coverts.

Update in 4-6 weeks! They sure are cuties.

You really can’t sex Double Silver Laced Barnevelders until they are mostly or fully feathered. Their feather pattern is actually the biggest giveaway of their genders, as females will be fully double silver laced and males will have a solid black breast, mostly white hackles and saddles, and possibly a bit of that double silver lacing on their wing coverts.

This is perfect. Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you 🙏

I updated some pictures of them at 6 weeks (with other chicks I'm sexing) See the link below:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...mani-silver-double-laced-barnevelder.1567725/

They are in fact roosters. Here in the pics they are 9 weeks old. They are quite skittish and don’t seem to be interested in grubs. But they are not yet aggressive and don’t mind me once they are in my arms.

For comparison sake, I have a male silverrudd blue from the same batch of chicks. He is much more interested and friendly, but I’ve noticed that to be true generally for Silverudd Blues.
CD761344-901D-49D6-AFC7-ECFCCB37611A.jpeg

20849A25-0E0E-490A-A286-EC7A3D27E756.jpeg

00C9C09B-7730-4CC6-88B9-E4D6B98B5091.jpeg

07A2822C-3918-466C-8B26-E65D70A0FE0C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom