Sexing Welsummers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeaucamom, Jan 31, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I just read on another site that you can sex welsummers as day olds by the stripe on their back, but it didn't say how. Does anyone know?

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Females have a distinct stripe on their head and with the males it's less distinct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Mothergoose may be able to help. I read somewhere she said she sexes her Welsummers at a week of age I believe.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  3. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I believe for what it is worth, that cream leg bars can also be sexed by color the day after hatching. That said, I never had any myself.

Rufus

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know about the stripes.....I've found tho it doesn't take long for me to be able to tell by the little roos combs.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    From what I can remember one lady told me that you can tell by the colorings, if they are darker, they are females and lighter ones are males. Yet, I had both sexes in both colors in those chicks and it didnt matter whether they were light or dark colored. I guess it is due to different strains of Welsummers.

Gotta love those Wellies! Hope Mothergoose would reply to this one!

6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The brown patch on a females head will be darker and very distinct, while on the roos the brown spot will be kinda washed out and a little lighter looking. Kinda like one being in focus and the other a little fuzzy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by