Sexing White Leghorn Crosses; Comb Size Good Indicator?

venetianblinds

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Usk, British Columbia
So I have two White Leghorn (F) x Black Copper Maran (M). One of them has been growing a comb since he was 2 weeks old and the other one barely has one. I was talking to my neighbour (who I got the chicks from) and she said that the comb size can be misleading when sexing leghorns. Just wondering what you all might think on the subject. I also have a chick from her that is either a purebred Copper Maran or a Copper Maran x EE. Any thoughts on him? Thanks all!

I don't know enough about marans to tell you about her, but for the two leghorns, there does seem to be a big difference there. My spidey senses say you have a male and a female. He is quite a bit bigger, too.

Your neighbor is right, comb size can be very misleading when sexing Leghorns. My Leghorn hens have combs that flop over their eyes, and had quite large combs even at a young age. That being said, however, I think you have a pair here. The redness of the comb is more of a giveaway than the size with Leghorns, as well as the early development of wattles.

As far as your dark chick, I would guess that's Marans X Marans. No signs of any EE in there, although it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the chick didn't inherit the fluffy cheeks/pea comb/blue egg genes. However, the chick's patterning looks classic Marans, too. I'm assuming that your Marans are clean legged?

If you can, you should keep your leghorn roo. They are actually quite beautiful with their giant combs. :] Mine was one of my favorite roosters. The only problem with him was he was mean to the six year old, so we had to eat him.

I agree, comb size can be tricky with the Mediterranean breeds, but like WoS said, the redness is still a pretty good indicator. that looks like a boy to me.

Gosh, I had two baby leghorns given to me this past February, I think they were about 3-4 weeks when I got them. As they grew I thought for sure one was a roo because the comb was considerably bigger than the other one. I didn't think it was possible since the original owner bought them from TSC and I thought they only sold leghorn pullets. Well sure enough they both lay eggs and the one with the smaller comb, has caught up to the other one and now their combs are similar size. I call them my dynamic duo, Chocolate and White (named by the 4 y/o). :)

I have a black copper marans roo (with the leg feathers!) that is fertilizing these two's eggs (well all the girls lol). In a couple weeks (I am waiting on a hatch right now), I am going to put some of their eggs in the incubator and see what hatches.

Gosh, I had two baby leghorns given to me this past February, I think they were about 3-4 weeks when I got them. As they grew I thought for sure one was a roo because the comb was considerably bigger than the other one. I didn't think it was possible since the original owner bought them from TSC and I thought they only sold leghorn pullets. Well sure enough they both lay eggs and the one with the smaller comb, has caught up to the other one and now their combs are similar size. I call them my dynamic duo, Chocolate and White (named by the 4 y/o). :)

I have a black copper marans roo (with the leg feathers!) that is fertilizing these two's eggs (well all the girls lol). In a couple weeks (I am waiting on a hatch right now), I am going to put some of their eggs in the incubator and see what hatches.

Thanks so much for replying! The neighbour who gave me these chicks has also told me that comb size isn't always a great indicator of sex in this breed so maybe I do have a couple of hens! Either way I'm just happy to have raised the little things and that they seem to be healthy and doing well. Your hens look really great!

Just found out my leghorn cross is a roo! 2 months old and stared crowing at some rabbits that got near the coop....here he is at 4 weeks

Need to re-home him since my municipality doesn't allow roosters....oh dear

Back
Top Bottom