Sexing wyandottes

All the research I've been doing says it works with wyandottes at 1-3 days old.

Not sure where you're reading that but feather sexing is either by color (sexlinks or autosexing breeds, not Wyandottes) or wing growth on newly hatched chicks where the parent birds were a fast-feathering rooster and a slow-feathering hen. Wing sexing is not a breed characteristic, it's a technique used in commercial layer production because it's cheaper than vent sexing when you're producing large volumes of chicks.

It's going to be luck of the draw. You can try the old wives' tales (wave a hand over and choose the ones that duck, that sort of thing) but don't expect to do better than 50%.

Last edited:
I just bought two Wyandottes from a small family hatchery and the blue and red he garanteed pullet b/c their back is lighter "blue" ?

The silver laced were all labeled pullets...not sure how he separated them but I'm almost positive he doesn't vent-sex..maybe he has a theory about coloring on those, too..

I sure hope so b/c instead of buying two of each jic I bought an adorable white silky and can't keep any cockerels except a marans...praying and crossing lots of fingers over here!

How old are the two BLRW? My BLRW are all about 8 weeks old now and their backs all look the same. Several weeks ago, one of four combs reddened a bit. Another comb sprung up as a single and still is only light pink (although wattles are maybe a bit bigger than I'd think a pullet's ought to be at this age). I'm thinking its a cockerel, but am waiting for neck feathers to darken, a crow to begin croaking out, and then for saddle and hackle feathers to come in before I write it off as a boy. I don't give a rat's behind about the comb--its coloring is to die for and I would love it to be a pullet so I can use it for eggs and not meat!

Last edited:
We have a 4.5 week old BLRW and it wasn't sexed...we've had it since 4 days old. I wish I could post a picture but I can't figure out how to get my iPhone pics uploaded on here.

Anyway...she has no real comb so far. She seems like such a sweetheart...she lets all the little ones sleep under wing and she follows me around if we're in the yard.

Anyone have pictures of younger ones. beautiful birds posted above!

ETA picture

Last edited:
We have a 4.5 week old BLRW and it wasn't sexed...we've had it since 4 days old. I wish I could post a picture but I can't figure out how to get my iPhone pics uploaded on here.

Anyway...she has no real comb so far. She seems like such a sweetheart...she lets all the little ones sleep under wing and she follows me around if we're in the yard.

Anyone have pictures of younger ones. beautiful birds posted above!
My females (well, my one female--I sold the other to a friend) have almost nothing to speak of as far as a comb goes and they're 8 weeks old. That's pretty typical for females with rose combs, I think. I also have a 3 year old Golden Sebright hen who has just has a couple of dark red bumps on her head, almost like braille.

Hi, can anyone help me? Yesterday I went to a chicken show and purchased 2 birds, both silver laced wyandottes. One adult cockerel and one younger hen.. Although nothing stated it was younger.. But it still cheeps and doesn't yet cluck... I'm worried it's a boy... But family/friends think it's a girl.. Let me know what you all think. Thanks x

Back
Top Bottom